Adding candi sugar to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

player2ma

Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a Belgian Dubbel, which calls for 1 lb of candi sugar to be added to the fermenter after 1 day. How exactly is this done? I'm guessing you don't just dump the hard candi sugar in

While, I've not added candi sugar to the fermenter, I have added regular sugar and I imagine the process would be similar. I would simply boil the candi sugar in a small amount of water, let it cool, spray some star san around the outside of the pot and carboy opening, then dump it in.

For what it's worth, I've heard the hard, rock candi, sugar sold as Belgian candi sugar is simply expensive sugar. You may want to consider using either regular sugar, the dark candi syrup, like this, or making your own candi sugar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

This is an EXCELLENT write up on how to make your own candi sugar. It's extremely simple, and cheap! Personally, I pitch the yeast and wait 2-3 days until fermentation dies down a bit and then add the candi sugar. This way you aren't stressing out the yeast. If you buy the hard candi sugar, I would do what Pie Man said, and boil/cool it down. I would assume it would take a fairly long time for the hard candi sugar to dissolve.

I boiled some demarara sugar this morning, let it cool to ferm temp, and pitched into a saison. It appears to have been well-received. This is into the 3rd day of fermentation on a 3 gallon batch using wlp566. The airlock had slowed a fair amount until after I pitched this. 1 hour later its chugging away again. The process was basically what Pie Man described.

Latest posts

Back