Blichmann Hellfire on a Wood Table?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayZeus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get some advice on getting my Hellfire Burner off the floor. I have a very study, butcher block, shop table that can easily withstand the weight.
The heat is going to be an issue for sure... My thought was to use a piece of "Fireboard" that is designed to protect the floor underneath a wood burning stove.
Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Thanks!

I use a hellfire on wood without any protection and it has not harmed a thing. Granted, they are simple boards and not a butcher-block or even finished for that matter, but the radiant heat should not be a major problem IMHO. I should fire my burner up for a few and take some temperature readings

Thanks for the feedback, Mr.Vern. I just used this burner for the first time a few days ago... the wood under the burner got so hot that I couldn't keep my hand on it so I stopped what I was doing and moved it to the floor. I'm curious if you'll find the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback, Mr.Vern. I just used this burner for the first time a few days ago... the wood under the burner got so hot that I couldn't keep my hand on it so I stopped what I was doing and moved it to the floor. I'm curious if you'll find the same thing.

You put my attention on this which I hadn’t thought about. I stack a couple boards on a cart for enough height to fill a fermenter by gravity. I normally have a 1-2” gap in between the 2 boards. The hellfire is propane and mounted to the factory feet which leaves a 2” gap to the bottom.

I did a 30 minute boil with a board to cover the “gap” and here is what I found:

The outside edge stabilized near 80F until I moved the thermocouple to the middle at 160F. It seemed to be stable but it was only a quick test

My hillbilly risers haven’t scorched or even smelled hot during brew day but 160 is enough to have concern
88F3D176-D11C-4A13-A8DE-9ABA7895674B.jpeg

Before switching to electric, I put a 24x24 concrete paver under the burner to protect the table I was using. A $8 insurance policy, in my opinion. It also caught some of the drips and spills and stopped the burner from sliding around on the smooth surface of the table I was using.

~HopSing.

Next time you use the burner atop the "fireboard", check the temperature of that "board" after you've been running the burner for 20-30 minutes. You might be surprised to find it's actually cooler than the surrounding ambient temperature.

When I used to run my Blichmann Floor Burners atop 20" pavers the pavers would actually get damp right below the burners. They were cool enough to condense the prevailing humidity...

Cheers!

Back