BlackBerry Brew Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprisingly very difficult :(

Then I think it's time someone [with the knowledge/skills] steps up to the task and make one from scratch. From the sound of it, it would be easier to build a new app than to port over.

I'm not a software developer, so I don't think I'd be a good choice... Unless the SDK's make it fairly straight forward and all it really takes is time to get the database relationships in place and such. I know, "all it takes" is not the same as "easy to do"... Often the person saying the first has no clue on how to actually execute the task (hence my comment about not knowing how to do this, before that comment)...

I have an ipod touch (plus an older ipod for my truck's stereo deck) but I'm not about to get an app just for that. For one thing, I almost never use the ipod touch (the one that goes into the truck is used far more often). I would dump it, if I wouldn't lose so much of the music I purchased due to apple's protection on the music I purchased over the years. I would lose about 1/3-1/2 of my purchased music if I tried to convert to something else. If it wasn't for that, I would dump the touch and just use my Storm2 for everything (except the truck)...

I plan on making one from scratch as I outlined earlier in this thread, but its going to be a month or two before I get to it since I'm finishing up the touches on a different blackberry app.

I plan on making one from scratch as I outlined earlier in this thread, but its going to be a month or two before I get to it since I'm finishing up the touches on a different blackberry app.

Ah... ok... Thought you might have dropped the project due to other things... If you want/need a beta tester (or even alpha as long as it won't bugger my 'berry) sign me up... :D

Golddiggie said:
Not really what I'm looking for... Web sites are fine for many things, but trying to enter information to a web site is not even close to what I'm looking for. Plus, I want/need to be able to formulate it with enough time to think about things. With the site method, I cannot see being able to save it onto a memory card, so that I can reference it later.

Then I think it's time someone [with the knowledge/skills] steps up to the task and make one from scratch. From the sound of it, it would be easier to build a new app than to port over.

I'm not a software developer, so I don't think I'd be a good choice... Unless the SDK's make it fairly straight forward and all it really takes is time to get the database relationships in place and such. I know, "all it takes" is not the same as "easy to do"... Often the person saying the first has no clue on how to actually execute the task (hence my comment about not knowing how to do this, before that comment)...

I have an ipod touch (plus an older ipod for my truck's stereo deck) but I'm not about to get an app just for that. For one thing, I almost never use the ipod touch (the one that goes into the truck is used far more often). I would dump it, if I wouldn't lose so much of the music I purchased due to apple's protection on the music I purchased over the years. I would lose about 1/3-1/2 of my purchased music if I tried to convert to something else. If it wasn't for that, I would dump the touch and just use my Storm2 for everything (except the truck)...

Good story...

I promise this will be the last time I push BBrewApp on you... If you would actually try it out, you will see that the site loads very quickly (faster than a lot of applications) and that you can input the information about the recipe in less than a minute and then click submit to get the calculated results. Hit back and try tweaking something and then click submit again to see how the ABV or IBUs changed. When you got results you like, enter your email address and click send and you have a text file in you inbox with all of the recipe information.

I had the same frustrations as you about being a BB user and not having brewing software like what is available for the iPhone. So I did something about it and made this site that any device can access and anyone with a little knowledge of brewing can use to tweak and save recipes on the fly.

The only downside I see to the web based approach(while I know I"m a bit partial to my own work), is that if your LHBS is located in a missile silo or in the middle of nowhere and you can't get a signal.

Good story...

I promise this will be the last time I push BBrewApp on you... If you would actually try it out, you will see that the site loads very quickly (faster than a lot of applications) and that you can input the information about the recipe in less than a minute and then click submit to get the calculated results. Hit back and try tweaking something and then click submit again to see how the ABV or IBUs changed. When you got results you like, enter your email address and click send and you have a text file in you inbox with all of the recipe information.

I had the same frustrations as you about being a BB user and not having brewing software like what is available for the iPhone. So I did something about it and made this site that any device can access and anyone with a little knowledge of brewing can use to tweak and save recipes on the fly.

The only downside I see to the web based approach(while I know I"m a bit partial to my own work), is that if your LHBS is located in a missile silo or in the middle of nowhere and you can't get a signal.

It took me forever to determine how to properly pull/push data from the internet within a blackberry app. If you're interested, we could probably work together to create a simple app that just stored recipes locally on the device and pushed them to your site for calculations. Or if you already have the calculations, it would easily be able to plug in the formulas in the app and it wouldn't matter if you were in a missile silo or not.

Good story...

Using the app you're trying to push, on my Storm2, simply sucks... This really is something that needs to be an actual app on the BlackBerry, NOT a freakin web site.

The BJCP app is a good reference app, with a lot of information in it. Just waiting for BlackBerry/RIM to release v3.1 through the AppWorld so that I can install it on my device. Version 3.0 works well, just want to drop the ad at the end... I can wait on that until the end of the week, or when it's actually available through AppWorld...

Using the app you're trying to push, on my Storm2, simply sucks... This really is something that needs to be an actual app on the BlackBerry, NOT a freakin web site.

The BJCP app is a good reference app, with a lot of information in it. Just waiting for BlackBerry/RIM to release v3.1 through the AppWorld so that I can install it on my device. Version 3.0 works well, just want to drop the ad at the end... I can wait on that until the end of the week, or when it's actually available through AppWorld...

3.1 was approved this morning, so it should start becoming available soon in AppWorld. No more ads/BJCP screen upon closing in this version. Also doesn't crash!

I appreciate the constructive criticism :confused:

Web based apps/software work ok on computers. On a Blackberry, or most hand held devices, they fall flat... I still prefer an actual application that I can run ON the computer/device over web based every time. Such as Beer Smith (actually purchased my license yesterday, so I have it for the long haul).

Having the application actually installed (not web-based) also means that if you're in a store, where cell reception drops too low, or drops completely, you can still formulate your recipe, or tweak it for what's available. With web based, you're screwed until you can get a couple of 'bars'...

What mrtrav has released is the way to go... If you want to offer something for the hand held market, then code it for the devices as installable software.

Web based apps/software work ok on computers. On a Blackberry, or most hand held devices, they fall flat... I still prefer an actual application that I can run ON the computer/device over web based every time. Such as Beer Smith (actually purchased my license yesterday, so I have it for the long haul).

Having the application actually installed (not web-based) also means that if you're in a store, where cell reception drops too low, or drops completely, you can still formulate your recipe, or tweak it for what's available. With web based, you're screwed until you can get a couple of 'bars'...

What mrtrav has released is the way to go... If you want to offer something for the hand held market, then code it for the devices as installable software.

I actually agree with this one. However I also agree with jlutz1's method of creating the web based app for the simplicity of not having to code for multiple phone operating systems. Although they are all similar, it's a lengthy process to code for all of them.

It all really comes down to having the time and energy to put into coding all of this. I would like to put both into it, but right now I'm balls deep in another blackberry beer app. Perhaps spring/summer 2011 I can work on something if jlutz1 hasn't put the effort in already.

I noticed that the website calculation thing doesn't work anymore. Where did it go? I actually liked it!

Back