priming sugar and flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddB

Reaction score
Noob question alert! Do priming sugar as any flavor to the beer? I'm about ready to bottle my second batch, a Blue Moon clone, and wondered if priming with honey would add anything to final flavor of the beer.

In general, no. The sugars in the priming solution ferment out and leave no flavor or aroma behind as a rule. There would be some cases, say maybe using lots of molasses, where a faint flavor might remain but not with honey or sugar or extract.

Thanks Yooper.

So, if I wanted to do a honey wheat ale, when and how would I add the honey?

Thanks Yooper.

So, if I wanted to do a honey wheat ale, when and how would I add the honey?

There are two ways to get a honey flavor in a beer. One is with honey, of course, and that is usually added at the end of the boil and/or in secondary. The thing is, the honey ferments out and leaves behind a very faint hint of honey at best.

A common way is to use brumalt, otherwise known as honey malt. A half pound, steeped with the other grains, makes a distinct honey flavor in the finished beer.

Honey malt + real honey in the recipe can make a very nice honey flavor in the finished beer.

Thanks the info Yooper! It just shows me that I have a lot to learn!

Back