Over active fermantaion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junedaddy75

Reaction score
Made a Bavarian hefe last night, pitched my first yeast starter ( 2 cups water 1/2 cup dme) using white labs 300. Woke up this morning and was bubbling away.This is NOW what my airlock looks like. affraid of blowing it or the lid. My question is should I change out my airlock for a new clean one? Or should I keep and eye on it. Any an all help is needed. Thanks

image-976813932.jpg

I would replace the airlock with a piece of tubing that leads into a jar with starsan (or other sanitizer). Those little holes in the airlock can clog and then bad things can happen.

What a lot of people do is take the standard 3 piece airlock, remove the top cap and the little floater piece that sits inside, and then slide a piece of tubing over the stem in the middle. The other end of that tube runs to a container filled with a starsan solution. I believe the proper tubing size that you want is half-inch I.D.

billybryson54 said:
What a lot of people do is take the standard 3 piece airlock, remove the top cap and the little floater piece that sits inside, and then slide a piece of tubing over the stem in the middle. The other end of that tube runs to a container filled with a starsan solution. I believe the proper tubing size that you want is half-inch I.D.

Thank you very much!!!!! That makes sense. I was wondering how you would go about it( time to invest in a 6.5 carboy) but I just replaced w/ a clean airlock, but next time I will use the blow off tube. Now I hope that it continues to bubble.

Back