Bjcp for Blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtrav

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, RIM is taking forever to approve the app, and I still need to submit the latest changes. Here is the link to download the app OTA until it is approved by RIM. For those of you who have already installed it, you can still navigate to this link to upgrade.

As always, feel free to request features or let me know about any problems with the app.

Download BJCP OTA
Will only work with OS 5.0.0 and above

Change Log - 1.1
-New Icon
-Placed all sub-styles into categories
-Decreased page/menu transition time
-Increased style detail load time (was previously 3-5 seconds)

Change Log - 1.2 (Official first version submitted to RIM)
-Renamed app to BJCP as per RIM's request
-Fixed bug with categories 9 and 10 in which some styles were not selectable

I'll just post my thoughts here.

I tried the version before 1.1 (1.0 I guess). I really like the changes you made and think it made the app a lot more "snappy". The first one I tried out was a little sluggish, but 1.1 ran much better. Grouping the sub styles into their categories helped a lot also.

I'm downloading 1.2 now from the app store and will let you know what I think. So far, I really like it. BJCP guidelines at my fingertips, what more can I ask for!

Was just messing around with it and had a though. Not sure if its doable. The info inside each style can get a little lengthy, esp on a small blackberry screen. It kind of takes a lot of scrolling to get all the way down to the classic examples. What if instead of having to scroll down through aroma, appearance, flavor etc, each of those were in "tabs", or "pages" that you could swipe either right or left to get to each of those categories.

I'm thinking something like how the App World works when you click on the "Top 25" icon. You can scroll left and right through Top Themes, Recently Updated etc, and up and down to see the apps under that category. I know this would be really nice for my 9700 which has a track pad. Might be nice for Storm users too. The scrolling might not be as bad for those with a trackball.

Congratulations mrtrav. I worked with RIM for many years so I know that it is a real compliment to get them to approve anything.

Was just messing around with it and had a though. Not sure if its doable. The info inside each style can get a little lengthy, esp on a small blackberry screen. It kind of takes a lot of scrolling to get all the way down to the classic examples. What if instead of having to scroll down through aroma, appearance, flavor etc, each of those were in "tabs", or "pages" that you could swipe either right or left to get to each of those categories.

I'm thinking something like how the App World works when you click on the "Top 25" icon. You can scroll left and right through Top Themes, Recently Updated etc, and up and down to see the apps under that category. I know this would be really nice for my 9700 which has a track pad. Might be nice for Storm users too. The scrolling might not be as bad for those with a trackball.

Agree on the lengthy-ness. I was just messing around with the code that AppWorld uses for the top 25 sections for another app I'm working on. I'll try it out and see how it looks. I use a storm so it's really easy to slide through the text. My wife hast the bold with the track ball and I hate using that damn thing.

Congratulations mrtrav. I worked with RIM for many years so I know that it is a real compliment to get them to approve anything.

Thanks! It was a real PITA to get everything through. But now it's nice and easy to make changes to the BJCP app or add new ones.

Thank you for the bjcp app. It works great and is very fast (storm2 user) and would love to see more brewing apps :mug:

I have version 2.0 ready to submit to App World, but i need a special set of keys from RIM to submit it, which I have been waiting on for a few weeks now. 2.0 will be much snappier and include search functionality.

I'll change the method used to display text later, I am working on getting a different app finished, so once that is done I'll fix the display method.

Display was fine for me, on a Storm2...

I know it might be asking a lot, but would it be possible to add a section for listing the ingredients characteristics? Such as the currently available hops, grains, etc... As things stand, now, I'm having to search through a lot of different sources to try and dig up what different ingredients actually bring to the table for brewing. It would be great to have a single source, that's more complete, to reference. Although this could become it's own app, due to how many ingredients that are to use...:mug:

Right now I just pull from the BJCP guidelines directly. There is an ingredients section, so its possible the ingredients you are looking for might be listed in there. If they are, in 2.0 you will be able to search for those.

If you're looking for something that would say, cascade hops add x, y, and z to the beer, then that is a whole different beast all together.

Right now I just pull from the BJCP guidelines directly. There is an ingredients section, so its possible the ingredients you are looking for might be listed in there. If they are, in 2.0 you will be able to search for those.

Saw the brew description, which is fine often (such as when out and trying to figure out what I want to drink from the selections available)...

If you're looking for something that would say, cascade hops add x, y, and z to the beer, then that is a whole different beast all together.

That is what I'm actually looking for... I know it's not a small task... I'm thinking of digging up as much info as I can and put it into a 'simple' word or excel file and keep that on hand... Of course, I'm looking for as much detail as possible, not just referencing other hops in the profile description...

2.0 is about to be submitted to AppWorld. Can I have a few of you guys install the beta version and make sure it runs smoothly. If you install it, please report back which model your phone is and what problems you are seeing, if any.

Also, search is now functional. Just click the blackberry menu button and click "Search". Try that out too and make sure it works.

You have to install the blackberry api set first (this will be bundled in the version submitted to RIM)
http://www.510brewing.com/bjcp/2.0/net_rim_bbapi_adv_app10172.jad

Then install version 2.0
http://www.510brewing.com/bjcp/2.0/BBJCP.jad

It's available through AppWorld now. Screenshots are still pending approval, but it looks/feels the same as version 1.2. Just use the blackberry menu button to access the search functionality.

It's available through AppWorld now. Screenshots are still pending approval, but it looks/feels the same as version 1.2. Just use the blackberry menu button to access the search functionality.

Only getting version 1.2 when searching under AppWorld... How long before you expect it to be fully available/released (assuming it's RIM holding things up)??

It's slowly being pushed out by RIM. Even on my personal device it's showing up still as 1.2 in AppWorld. Give it a few hours and try again.

Hey, just downloaded the newest version that was pushed through the App world. It says 3.0 although you said it was only 2.0 here.

Anyways, I've recently upgraded to OS 6 on a 9780. The program seems to lock up a few seconds after I open it, then it shuts down. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise, I really like the layout and search functionality.

Hey, just downloaded the newest version that was pushed through the App world. It says 3.0 although you said it was only 2.0 here.

Anyways, I've recently upgraded to OS 6 on a 9780. The program seems to lock up a few seconds after I open it, then it shuts down. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise, I really like the layout and search functionality.

They had a problem with the first version I uploaded, and their uploading system won't let you delete a version once its uploaded. So I just jumped up to version 3.0.

You say it locks up and shuts down, but then you like the layout and functionality. Can you explain a bit further?

Well, I can see the layout, access the search function, and even click through and enter a style, and sub category. Then, after a few seconds it freezes and says

"uncaught exception: Application BJCP(262) is not responding; process terminated"

I was merely commenting that I "liked it so far", except for the freezing thing!

On my Storm2 (with OS 5.x) it seems to run just fine. It would be nice to not have that ad when you close out of the software though. Rather annoying, especially on a white background...

That page is actually a background process that makes sure the database of styles is valid. I didn't kill the page before so I could throw up ads on there, but since there are no ads it's basically useless.

I'll have to see if I can kill the page somehow when you exit the styles page. If I can't figure it out in a timely manner, would making the background black instead of white help at all?

That page is actually a background process that makes sure the database of styles is valid. I didn't kill the page before so I could throw up ads on there, but since there are no ads it's basically useless.

I'll have to see if I can kill the page somehow when you exit the styles page. If I can't figure it out in a timely manner, would making the background black instead of white help at all?

Actually, having the black background would make it [much] less annoying... If you can't kill it completely, then that's a good alternative...

Allright, I figured out how to kill that last screen when you hit the back button. I am going to submit the finished one to RIM later today once I get a final response back from an OS6 user saying removing the ads worked.

Look for the update in AppWorld this week. If you installed from the link on my website, you might need to delete it to get notified about the update in app world.

Back