Birch Extract in a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandbrew212

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am thinking about making an amber or brown ale and adding birch flavor to it to try something different. Anyone have experience with using the brewers best birch beer extract? I know this is used to make birch beer soda but I want to make birch BEER . Does the extract give sweetness or just flavor? If it is doable, when would be the best time to add the extract? Post boil? Secondary?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I have no specific experience with birch flavor extract, but in general extracts are best added post-fermentation to avoid losing what you paid for - which very often is something quite volatile by nature.
And like most extracts, I would expect there would be virtually no sweetness conveyed by the extract itself. That's left to the user, which is probably for the best as usage and tastes vary.

Assuming you lay hands on said extract I would try dosing sample size glasses of beer to get a feel for the amount for a batch...

Cheers!

Back