Used a wort chiller, no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdip1313

Reaction score
So I finally got to try out my new wort chiller, and now two days later I still have no fermentation, no bubbles, no nothing. I'm not an expert brewer by any means, would be hesitant to say that I'm at all good at this, but I've done it enough times to think that I didn't do anything drastically different from the previous times when I got the beer to ferment without any problems. So my initial thoughts are that it has to do with the wort chiller and that maybe I over did it with cooling. I went to around 60/65 degrees, so is it possible that it is just too cold for the yeast to work? Even if that was the case, I would think that maybe after 2 days it might have warmed up a little bit to start fermenting some, but I still have nothing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I might have gone wrong and maybe some tips to try to save the batch?

Hmmm... you fermenting in a bucket? Have you taken a hydro reading? If not, do so and report back.....

Which strain of yeast? You really need to give more details to get good advice, but generally I doubt chilling to the low 60's would cause a problem. In fact it's a good target for most ale strains. ...

So I finally got to try out my new wort chiller, and now two days later I still have no fermentation, no bubbles, no nothing. I'm not an expert brewer by any means, would be hesitant to say that I'm at all good at this, but I've done it enough times to think that I didn't do anything drastically different from the previous times when I got the beer to ferment without any problems. So my initial thoughts are that it has to do with the wort chiller and that maybe I over did it with cooling. I went to around 60/65 degrees, so is it possible that it is just too cold for the yeast to work? Even if that was the case, I would think that maybe after 2 days it might have warmed up a little bit to start fermenting some, but I still have nothing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I might have gone wrong and maybe some tips to try to save the batch?

I think you should read the sticky on it taking up to three days for active fermentation to start. And it has zero to do with your wort chiller.

I'm fermenting in a glass carboy. I took the original specific gravity and it was right in range at 1.044. And the yeast was a California Ale yeast by White Labs.

So it sounds like you guys think I should sit tight and wait another day or two before I need to starting worrying about it. I'll try that and let you know if it works out, unless you have any other suggestions in the mean time. Thanks for the help.

Please take a gravity reading before assuming its not fermenting. Once you do that you'll know for sure if its fermenting or not, and we can give you the better advice on how to fix it, should it need fixing.

What's the current temperature? Did you make a starter or direct pitch? How long did it take the smack pack to swell? Do you know how fresh it was? How did you aerate? All of these factors play in to your fermentation. By the way, low 60's pitch temp for American ale is perfect so your chilling isn't the issue...

What's the current temperature? Did you make a starter or direct pitch? How long did it take the smack pack to swell? Do you know how fresh it was? How did you aerate? All of these factors play in to your fermentation. By the way, low 60's pitch temp for American ale is perfect so your chilling isn't the issue...

+1 on the pitch temp being a total non-issue.

I target 60-62*F for ales, 45-48*F for lagers.

How long did it take the smack pack to swell? Do you know how fresh it was?

He didn't use a smack pack.

OP: White Labs says the optimum temp for this strain is 68-73 degrees, I normally cool my wort to fermenting temps before pitching......http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast. However, if you cool below fermenting temps there might be a lag time especially for liquid yeast. If you pitch too warm and the yeast takes off you might get some off flavors, which is why pitching below temps is not necessarily a bad thing. I think you are good and I wouldn't worry about it until after 72 hours.

You were right on with the 72 hours. I got home today from work and there was a small cap of foam on across the top. All I really needed was to wait a little longer.

I know this was a pretty rookie question, so thanks for offering up your advice. Now I know for next time, which will hopefully be next weekend!

Back