Rack it to the secondary or leave in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA Friday and it is currently sitting in my fermentation chamber bubbling away. Normally I wait till ferm is done cold crash then bottle but this time I'm going to be dry hopping.
Well the plot twist is I start some training Saturday (Military), and the word is we might be in the field 10 days. So should I wait till fermentation is done transfer to secondary, dry hop, leave then bottle? Or, should I just leave it in the primary and dry hop before I leave Saturday? Normally I would never transfer to a secondary but I'm considering if it will be 10 plus days 'till I see my beer again.
Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know this might stir up the old " is secondary necessary debate" not my intention.

You could leave it sit in the primary while you're gone and do the dry hopping in a secondary when you return. The extra time won't hurt.

BTW - thanks very much for your service.:rockin:

Secondary isn't really necessary. I would just dry hop in the primary when you get back. Unless you keg. I started dry hopping in the keg and it is great. Just put the hops in a hop sack and tie it to some dental floss (non flavoured). The keg seal will seal around the floss (double check though) and you can easily taste when the beer is hopped the way you like it. And when the hops drop out, you can just do it again.

All right thanks ill leave it in the primary until I get back. Then I shall rack into the secondary, dry hop(7 days I assume is the norm), Cold Crash, them bottle.

Back