Bad/sweet odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
Just finished brewing this time yesterday, when I got home from work I am smelling a very strong almost sweet odor from the room my fermenter is in (24 hrs of fermentation). Upon closer inspection it appears some yeast or other sediment has made it's way into the airlock. Is this a normal odor/occurrence or do I have a problem?
This is the largest batch I have done yet, about 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket.

Put a blowoff valve on that baby, you don't want it plugging up, it could explode. Otherwise, you don't have a problem, just alot of beer in a relatively small fermenter.

Cyclman said:
Put a blowoff valve on that baby, you don't want it plugging up, it could explode. Otherwise, you don't have a problem, just alot of beer in a relatively small fermenter.

I have heard of this but have not seen it, what's a blow off valve?

Depending on what equipment you have: a plastic tube that goes from the hole where the airlock normally is, run the tube into a pail, cup, holder of water/starsan (or other cleaner) and you have the blowoff. What you are doing it allowing the very healthy active yeast more room to vent. It may fill the tube and overfill the bucket, it may not. No matter, once it all settles down, wipe everything clean, spray with starsan and put the airlock back on. Don't worry about the few minutes that the hole will be exposed to o2, it will have enough pressure from the co2 to keep the o2 out.

On the tube, if all you have is your 3/8 or 1/2 inch siphon tube, just use it. Next time you order supplies, get a short piece of 1" or whatever your opening hole size for your primary so you can have it ready.

Back