Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerbarth

Reaction score
I checked the gravity of my dogfish head 60 min IPA after 6 days in the primary. I put lid back on and re sanitized the airlock. After sanitizing I put water in airlock and inserted airlock in place. It seems the suction pulled a small amount of water from airlock into the primary. This is my first brew ever and I am hoping this small mishap does not skunk my brew. Should I be worried?

RDWHAHB. Adding a few drops of water to your beer post-boil isn't going to hurt, unless perhaps if the water came out of the sewer.

Welcome to the hobby!

Airlock suckback is very common. Water is not a persistent sanitary liquid to use in the airlock. Use StarSan, Saniclean, or Vodka/Everclear in it instead. Since you just filled it with (likely) chlorinated water, the odds of having picked up anything that will negatively affect your beer are remote.

Skunking is a photochemical reaction between UV light and hops and doesn't have anything to do with airlock suckback.

Welcome! First brew and you're using a hydrometer. You're off to a good start.

As everyone above has stated you'll be fine.

I have however found that the S Style airlocks prevent suck back much better than the 3 piece airlocks. I just recently switched out all my old 3 piece airlocks for the S Style ones.

-deicide

So since light skunks brew should I leave glass carboy in a dark place for secondary fermentation?

Or cover them with dark tee shirts. That works for me. But def use something besides plain water in airlocks for a lil added insurance in the event of a suck back. You might be ok this time,since it happened so quickly after cleaning/filling it. But when that water sits in there a couple weeks,then gets sucked back in,it can introduce nasties to the beer. I use cheap vodka so anything that gets through the tiny holes in the airlock cap die of alcohool poisoning.

Latest posts

Back