Please help me with a diagnosis!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
So I've attached a few photos of some leaves I pruned from my third year cascade. I'll give some history:

Last year, I noticed the same issue with the cascade (but not my first year centennial). The lower leaves started to brown around the edges and get brown spots. Eventually they died off, the leaf turning completely brown and crispy. The bines kept growing like crazy, and produced a fair harvest, but some of the cones also turned brown and dried up. It started low and eventually moved it's way up the plant.

I was hoping the issue would go away this season. But just today, for the first time, I noticed some of the lower leaves starting to brown on the edge. I cut everything down last fall after the bines died. This spring, I side dressed with compost and in April gave them Miracle Grow per the instructions. Then I trimmed all the first shoots, and top dressed with more compost May 4. My second growth bines are going on 2-3 feet.

Today is the first I've noticed any issues, like I said. I want to nip this in the bud ASAP before it nearly destroys my plant like it nearly did last year. I looked close and did not see any moving objects (like mites) on the leaves. I usually water about twice a week. Just watered last night and we got a fairly heavy shower this afternoon.

I also tested my soil this spring, and showed a pH of about 7, a little light on nitrogen, good on phosphorous, and really low on potassium. So I added compost and potash per instructions, as well as a little sulfur, to bring the pH down a little and add potassium. My tomatoes also sometimes show a similar problem - yellowing leaves that eventually die off.

I really appreciate the help - like I said, I want to get it nipped soon - my wet hop ale won't be the same without wet hops!

IMG_20130515_191323.jpg

IMG_20130515_191306.jpg

IMG_20130515_191255.jpg

IMG_20130515_191233.jpg

My guess is micronutrient deficiency, or imbalance. It does not seem to be pathogenic. Chloride, boron, and potassium deficiencies present similar to your pictures (although most Miracle grow preps have these).

Chloride and potassium are mobile, ie the nutrients travel up the plant, robbing the lower leaves. Do you see wilting, or does it seem like you have to water a lot?

Do you know the original source of your bines (imported to Colorado by chance)?

My guess is micronutrient deficiency, or imbalance. It does not seem to be pathogenic. Chloride, boron, and potassium deficiencies present similar to your pictures (although most Miracle grow preps have these).

Chloride and potassium are mobile, ie the nutrients travel up the plant, robbing the lower leaves. Do you see wilting, or does it seem like you have to water a lot?

Do you know the original source of your bines (imported to Colorado by chance)?

I don't see much wilting. I water about twice a week and mulch well. Like I said, my soil does show low potassium deficiencies, should I side dress with potash, or is there a good fertilizer to providemicro nutrients?

This plant came her from my local home brew shop, so no idea. Probably imported.

Back