Just Getting Started..... (Equipment and Keezer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpostel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been researching and getting ready to get my first batch going. I have been working a lot, but I'm finally off. I have been collecting equipment and setting up my keezer. I had a vision of what keezer I wanted to build when I saw it on one of the forums, and a couple of days later, I found one on Craigslist that was exactly what I wanted. I picked it up the same day, and I just got around to cleaning and sanitizing it. I removed EVERYTHING, I took apart all lines, faucets, drip tray, and cleaned inside the keezer with Clorox, and sprayed it all out with the water hose (drained via drain hole) So the specs are a Kenmore 12 cu. ft. Chest Feezer, stained wooden collar, 4 Perlick 525SS fauctets, 5# CO2 setup with three gauges, Johnson Controls Temp Controller, and Stainless Drip Tray. I was pleasantly surprised to see exactly how much was gonna fit in here. The compressor shelf holds two carboys perfectly in case I want to lager in it. It will hold six cornys, with CO2 tank inside, or maybe two 1/6 barrel Sanke's and 3 or 4 cornys. I am actually on the way to get two Sankes now. One Fireman's #4 and One St. Arnold's Root Beer for the family. I need this so when I make my first Homebrew batch this weekend, I'll, at least, have something to drink, sans, Homebrewer Style (at least it is a craft beer out of the Keezer) Here are some pics of my setup, and a couple of shots of my brewing equipment and where I am gonna brew. Comments are welcomed.

P5220134.jpg

P5210126.jpg

P5210125.jpg

P5220140.jpg

P5220144.jpg

And I would like to give a huge THANKS to HBTF for running a great site, and also a big THANKS to Austin Home Brewing Supplies for running a great outfit. Here is one last pic........

P5220139.jpg

I don't see valves. How are you transferring liquid on brew-day? Also, looks like you're boil-tested the pots on that stove, right? Figure out how long sparge water takes to heat so you can fire it up and have it done when your mash is done. Don't worry about going a little long on your mash, though. I mash up to 8 hours at times, of course when I know I'm going that long I adjust my temps a bit.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!!! You look just like me, I gathered it all after my first Mr Beer batch. I gotta warn you, do not walk away from your boil pot when you have wort boiling, not even for a second. Wort makes a nasty mess if you get it on mommas stove, she will likely cut yer nutz off. Huge mess, so be carefull. After the keezer/chamber you might want to consider an outdoor burner or using hot water heater heating coils. Boilovers suck even outside..... Planning to build a stand, maybe? I'm in the process of assembling one now. And you can build a simple controller pretty cheap too. Good luck, and hope you have as much fun doing this stuff as I am, it's a blast

Wheelchair Bob

I don't see valves. How are you transferring liquid on brew-day? Also, looks like you're boil-tested the pots on that stove, right? Figure out how long sparge water takes to heat so you can fire it up and have it done when your mash is done. Don't worry about going a little long on your mash, though. I mash up to 8 hours at times, of course when I know I'm going that long I adjust my temps a bit.

Ya, I have weldless valves for everything, the only one installed is on my cooler MT right now. My step drill wasn't large enough for the ones on the Boil Kettle or the HLT. But I'll have them in this weekend for sure.

Ya, I don't plan on walking away from the boil, I know it will be DRAMA if I get it on Mama's stove. (Eventhough I'm the cook in the house, LOL) They are 9 gallon pots, and I'll be doing 5 gallon batches, so it will be close, but should be ok. I have plenty of control on our NG stove top.

As far as timing, I know that I got 8 gallons of 120* (out of the tap) water to boiling in 34 minutes. It was at 180* in 17 minutes.

I am contemplating some sort of pump so I can basically have a 1 tier setup in my kitchen. 7 gallons of 150ish* mash is pretty heavy to get back up on to the stove. I most likely will be transfering water from the HLT to the MT via my 4qt pitcher. The MT will drain via, the valve, into the BK when the mash is ready.

I am setting up for 5 gallon all grain batches. I mainly want to do mini mashes to start. It seems like different HBS shops have different ingredient kits for their mini mashes. Some come with just specialty grains, and other with base and specialty grains. No need to mash specialty grains, so I may just do that in a BIAB fashion. And after all this research and reading I've been doing. I'm sure all-grain would be pretty easy, especially since I have all of the equipment.

Gonna start some yeast starters for this weekends batches if UPS ever gets here, LOL...... For now, I am hooking up my first kegs in my keezer. I picked up the Fireman's #4 and St. Arnolds Root Beer yesterday. Next pic you see, my glass will be filled with a frothy pint of brew!

Back