Best substitute for Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast 1469/WLP037)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Substitute

• WLP English Ale

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • WLP English Dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WLP British Ale

• Lallemand Windsor

• Other

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I want to brew a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone, but cannot get Yorkshire Ale Yeast. I can however get WLP English Ale, WLP English Dry, WLP British Ale, and Lallemand Windsor. Can anyone recommend the best substitute? I can't get any Wyeast varieties.

None of those are remotely close to 1469 and wlp037 is no equivalent either.

1469 is your best option
1318 might be closest

order it

1469 and 1318 are now my two preferred strains for cask-conditioned ales. I’ve made a ton of batches with 1318 and am on my third batch with 1469. I find they both behave and taste very different.

1318 drops clear like a stone, but 1469 needs time and isinglass to really drop clear. The flavors are also quite different with exactly the same malt bill and hopping. 1469 is more likely to throw stronger (to me less pleasant) flavors at higher temps, and 1318 is a bit more forgiving.

I would say if your intention is to clone Landlord, I agree with @couchsending that you really need to get 1469, as it’s a big part of the flavor profile. Ferment it cool. Their brewery tour on YouTube says they pitch at 59F. I’m still fine-tuning the best temperature for it.

Oh, and 1469 is a great yeast to open ferment.

Back