Best iPad App For Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenderle

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently got into brewing and have enjoyed making the batches, however I have been reading about some apps/software available to help make brew day even better. If you wouldn't mind giving me your opinions on the apps you've used I'd appreciated. I'd rather not download all available and just get the one that would help me best. I'm currently doing extract batches but hope to upgrade soon to an all-grain set-up. Would they still help me with my current set-up or is this more necessary when I go to all-grain? Thanks!

Check out iBrewMaster i have the iPhone version it works great iPad version is a lot better layout.

I was using BrewPal and really liked it. However that didn't stop me from downloading iBrewmaster to check it out. I don't care for its interface at all. Once we bought a Mac desktop last year, I moved to Beer Alchemy both on the desktop and iPhone and I absolutely love it. Super easy syncing between them.

I use iBrewMaster on the iPad, and they have an iPhone version as well. I really only use it for brew-day tracking of ingredients, etc. The current versions are a little to buggy to use on a regular basis. The inventory module, which they admittedly released too early, is buggy, and tends to crash the app.

I use BrewSmith on my Mac to build recipes, track Inventory, Enter notes, etc. It's a bit busy but it does everything I need and then some including compensating for equipment and grain temps, loss to HLT/MLT/BK and hose volumes.

I only use iBrewMaster on brew day because it's easy to carry around from the basement to the garage as I'm assembling ingredients and starting/stopping timers.

-S

Beer Alchemy is a great piece of software. Definitely worth the $30 for Mac and $10 for iPad version and the fact that they sync is even better!

Don't know about ibrewmaster but have heard of it.'I used brewpal exclusively until I got my beersmith2.0 installed on the laptop.'I still use brewpal when I'm at the LHBS and looking for recipes I did back then.

I would vote brewpal as long as you remember to adjust the parameters as you go. Almost every screen in brewpal has settings. Click and adjust as you brew and it will serve you well.

That being said... Nothing beats beersmith on the pc.

Do any of the above mentioned brewing apps do conversions? (I.E. all grain recipes to extract) From the apps that I've looked at in iTunes this feature isn't mentioned. Maybe it's a standard feature of all apps, but converting recipes is a must-have for me.

I've never heard of such. To convert, you would simply delete the one item from the recipe and add the logical replacement, adjusting quantity to reach equivalent gravity.

Back