Dry Hop In Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
My Double IPA has been fermenting for 5 days now, I have not seen a single bubble, but with the flashlight test there is a nice thick layer of krausen :rockin:

It have 2oz of hops that I need to dry hop still with, should I be transferring to a secondary for this or should I dry hop in the primary?

And if I am dryhopping in the primary how do I know when to add them in?

Thanks!

I'd give it three weeks in primary, to clear up a small bit, and then Dry hop in the Primary. Its just easier that way, and you dont run the risk of oxidizing the beer, while transferring it.

You will want to wait until the most of the vigorous fermentation activity has slowed down so that the fermentation doesn't scrub out the hop flavors and aroma that you want, but that there may still be some yeast going to metabolize the small amount of oxygen that you will introduce. I would add them to the primary for about 5 days.

Transferring to secondary is generally regarded as minimal benefit (if any) for the risk of oxidation and contamination. I always go 2 weeks in primary and make sure I've hit a stable FG for 2-3 days (if I'm patient) and then just add dry hops for 3-7 days.

Wait for krausen to drop before adding hops, I'd say rack it to secondary it frees up a primary fermentation vessel to ferment more beer!

Definitely wait till krausen drops, racking to secondary isn't necessary, you risk oxidation, but improve clarity. I usually dry hop after 3 weeks, and leave in the primary, unless I'm going to age more than another week, I don't want the beer sitting on the yeast for more than 4 weeks. Man I wish I could afford a conical!

Wait till the beer hits a stable Fg. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Dry hop 7 days after that. Letting most of the trub & yeast settle out first prevents the hop oils from coating the settling yeast cells & get lost.

I dryhop in primary often, and just yesterday racked off of the hops into a keg.

I wait until fermentation is finished, and the beer is pretty clear (as yeast "clings" to the hops oils and subdues the hops aroma by pulling out the oils). Then I dryhop for the last 5-ish days before packaging. You can just add your hops about 5-7 days before your plan to bottle, and that should be fine.

Latest posts

Back