Decent beer, one odd taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgerdog

Reaction score
So I did my second batch a couple months ago. It was a double ipa, I started with a brewers best double ipa recipe, but I added a little extra hops, because I only had a 3 gallon boil. The extra hops was warrior at 60 min and some cascade dry hopping. Anyways, it turned out pretty good. But there was one sort of odd taste in the beer. I was hoping some one might be able to help me figure out what it is. It tasted a little bit like ash or maybe a little bit like earthy basement flavor, if that makes any sense to anybody. Not over powering, but not a good taste, so hoping to get rid of it for next batch. Just wondering if anybody has an idea what I might be able to do next time to make it better. Thanks for any help.

Was it kind of like cardboard? Oxidation? Did you splash while racking to your bottling bucket? Maybe it's still green. Give it a few months. Sounds like a strong brew.

Back