Damsel in Distress! (brand new, I require assistance! please :) )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnackPack

Reaction score
Hey there!

Sooo I got this crazy idea about a month back that I wanted to start making mead. Found this forum in the process of doing research and realized I have NO idea what I'm doing. I creeped around but I couldn't find a "noob" thread. So sorry if I'm taking up space but if some one could just help a girl out and point me in the right direction I'd be forever grateful. :) Where do I start? What's the best place/way to buy all of this stuff? How easy are the proportions in the sticky to scale down? Is scaling down recommended or will I get better results using those proportions? Thank you muchly :)

Go to the recipe forum and then Mead and yes you can scale up an down recipes with little problem just remember mead is a marathon not a sprint when making

Hey there!

Sooo I got this crazy idea about a month back that I wanted to start making mead. Found this forum in the process of doing research and realized I have NO idea what I'm doing. I creeped around but I couldn't find a "noob" thread. So sorry if I'm taking up space but if some one could just help a girl out and point me in the right direction I'd be forever grateful. :) Where do I start? What's the best place/way to buy all of this stuff? How easy are the proportions in the sticky to scale down? Is scaling down recommended or will I get better results using those proportions? Thank you muchly :)

Most Local Home Brew Shops (LHBS) should have all the equipment that you need for making Mead. Biggest things to think about are the amount of honey you will need (purchased by the pound and good quality) and the length of time. Most Meads are aged for several months before they are ready. Secondarily, you will also need to decide if you are going to make it still (honey wine) or carbonated (think under carbonated Champaign).

Mouse

Try a Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM).

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&Itemid=6&recipe_id=118

You can get all of the ingredients you need at the grocery store. Get a gallon jug of spring water and use the jug as your fermentor. Use a balloon as your airlock (just use a pin to poke a hole in it.)

It's a very tasty mead. A lot of experienced mead makers still make it regularly.

After that, I'd google for a local home brewing store, and get yourself a copy of Ken Schramm's "Compleat Mead Maker". Lots of great info about honeys, mead styles, yeast, and troubleshooting.

Also, visit gotmead.com. Lots of newbie guides there. They certainly help me!

Back