Some fun facts about people on the forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have quite a few new people that I don't "know" that well at all.

I thought it would be fun for each person, both newer and long-time, to give a one sentence description of yourself telling us something that many of us would not know about you.

Nothing gross (please!) or too serious but just a simple "few people know this but I ......." statement.

I think I'm an open book, so I don't have much that is new or interesting to say. The only thing I have that some of you may not know is that I have another grandson coming, due this summer. I'm a grandma already, of a nearly 3-year-old boy, so this will be my second.

How about you?

You may not know this about me but...

I thought Yooper was already a moderator since she's everywhere and always seems to have the right advice.
I live in CT, my wife is a Veterinarian and I have a 4 year old son.
I have lived in Nebraska, Iowa, Maryland, Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, and Michigan before I came to New England.

-I'm a railroader and a local union official
-Have a wonderful wife and two kids, boy 13 and girl 12
-Most friends call me (affectionately I hope/think) a 'sarcastic a-hole' :)

I work in retail and cannot believe how inconsiderate shoppers are - what a mess they make.
I found HBT 1 month after starting my brewing.
I also live in New England. Rhode Island. I was born in Indiana, lived in Massachusetts, New York, Florida, Connecticut, back to Florida, U.S. Virgin Islands, Back to Florida then Rhode Island.
I just got a KIA Soul and love it.
I didn't do much brewing when it was very cold and my pipeline is almost empty - brewday will be Tuesday - a Cream Ale
I also love nature photography.

You may not know...

That Im almost 40... that after a first marriage of 10 years, I finally found true love with a beautiful person... that even after all these years I still live less than 10 miles from where I was born... that I really dont like dogs even though most people treat them like family... that for some reason I do not enjoy projects around the house, but for some reason I cant get enough of beer related projects!

I don't know about stuff I haven't said or is relatively relevant. But I'd broken both of my arms, one of my collar bones, had surgery on my hip cause of slipping disc, and several other fun injuries.

I'm also really talented at baking and have made several things that people have said tasted awesome, but I 100% lack the finesse to be a baker cause they all look terrible.

Some things I've made that aren't the ugliest

168566_10151079615689175_1863994575_n.jpg

180122_10150112870758961_1573343_n.jpg

I thought Yooper was already a moderator since she's everywhere and always seems to have the right advice.
I live in CT, my wife is a Veterinarian and I have a 4 year old son.
I have lived in Nebraska, Iowa, Maryland, Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, and Michigan before I came to New England.

Indeed, she already was a moderator. She just recently got "promoted" to administrator.

As for me, my left forearm is about a half inch shorter than my right as a result of an injury when in was five.

When I was 12, I was in a boys choir (oh, here come the molestation jokes), and performed at Notre Dame cathedral in front of 4,000 people, did a full mass to a standing ovation, made the Bishop cry in joy.

Rest of my life sucked until I had my twins seven years ago, and learned to brew when I moved to CO!

BigPicture said:
I just got 2 questions for you.

1) Why am I here?

2) What is the meaning of life?

1) Because you were born.

2) Whatever you decide it is. Just because life has no meaning, it doesn't mean that it has no meaning.

You may not know this but I spent 23 years in the USAF. I'm originally from Syracuse, NY and have lived in Conn, Va, Md, NC, AZ, Colo, Calif, Guam, Germany and of course Nebraska. Why are we here? To brew beer buddy!!! Thanks Yooper for all your time and sharing your knowledge with us!:mug:

I'm sorry Yooper, I goofed & sidetracked your thread.

I got turned onto brewing while waiting for my car to get fixed. There was a Homebrew shop across the street & I went in to kill some time.

After $2000 and some time here on HBT........................... I can brew beer BETTER than 98% of the commercial stuff out there. I joined a beer club to get a better taste experience, and I am a better brewer than 90% of them.

Following recipes here I brew better tastin' beer than shop owners that have won awards.

They come to ME with the questions. I know nuthin'. It's YOU and HBT!

I love your Avatar!

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I actually never planned to get into brewing. I suggested a started kit to my parents for an xmas gift to my brother. Low and behold they got me one as well. My first batch was a disaster and the second wasnt much better. I just kept brewing once or twice a month and the rest is history. HBT is the reason I'm a better brewer.

I Road bike as well as ride a motorcycle when weather permits.
I do some web development and writing software.
I've also spent an embarrassing amount of my life watching movies.
Oh and I sell cars for a living, which is ok.

You may not know this about me, but I didn't like beer. Never drank beer, unless I had to order one at a bar with friends.
Then a friend talked about brewing, and I looked it up here. While I was surfing HBT, my boss came by and saw. Instead of reprimanding me, he asked if I brewed, and I said I was thinking about it. So he loaned me all his equipment. Fast forward 2 years, I returned all his stuff, I have an electric brewery, and I drink beer now, because it's actually good to drink. The beer I make, I love to drink!

And because of Yooper, I make soap. Still don't drink soap, though.

Well,I'm a German Slovak Apache that's half city,half country. The two are at odds with eachother over some things. I have a bad back & hips,so hunting & fishing are limited. All due to working too hard as an autoworker. Hot rodding cars started getting expensive,& it took too long for the wines I used to make to mature. 1 year was too long to wait to sample my handiwork. Being broke most of the time with a big house & family,retirement isn't what I intended. But partial mash brewing did cut off about 12 bucks a batch,so that's something.

I am a retired Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod musician and teacher. I served as music director at four LC-MS congregations in Menomonee Falls, WI; Oconomowoc, WI; Dallas, TX and Marengo, IL. The church where I currently play...and where my membership is...has an associate pastor who is a fellow brewer! And I absolutely LOVE Johann Sebastian Bach's music...almost as much as a good beer!

Now, here's another related question: who is the oldest member on this website? I will turn 67 this October. Anyone older???

glenn514:mug:

Here's a few things about me:

I've been working full time since I was 15.
I never finished High School.
I got married at 19.
I started brewing and making wine a few months before I turned 21. My wife was 21 so that makes it okay. Right? ;)
I've never been a risk taker, daredevil, etc.
Only broken one bone in my life. Left collar bone from the seatbelt when I had a bad car accident when I was 17.
I'm a huge fan of 80's music.
And even though I'm 28, I feel like I'm 50.

Some thing you may not know about me...

I'm getting married three weeks from tomorrow
I'm moving to Connecticut in July
I live 45minutes away from Dog Fish Head Brewery and an hour from the Brew Pub
I'm gonna brew my first batch a week after we move
I started a craft beer revolution in my fraternity house and the cost to enter our parties doubled because of it
I want to be a teacher and can't find a job so I sell furniture at a retail store until I get one!

Oh, and I LOVE BEER

some things you may not know about me......
Im 35
I dont like beer
I have 3 children, a boy and two girls
been married almost 14 years
grew up in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
if you watch the Tragically Hip video "courage", the guy setting off the fire extinguishers and shaving is my brother
the Catholic Church refused to baptize me because of my father

I'm 44, own a house but haven't owned a car for 8 years (just as well since my garage is dedicated to a kegerator and 15 bicycles).

US Army closing in on retirement (29 years), planning to open a microbrewery in Southeast Asia in 2014, been hb'ing for about 20 years but just started getting serious a few years ago, been through Siebel, and when I'm not brewing I'm out on the golf course. Love the forum!

I am half Slovenian, half Irish, so I am cheap and love to drink beer, home brewing was inevitable. I was born in Cleveland Ohio, have lived in it's east side suburbs my whole life, have a beautiful wife Rachel of almost 11 years, and two wonderful children, Raphael (Ray) is 6 1/2 & Madeline is 2 1/2. My user name is my given name, Mel Troha I am 36 years old.

I live in Louisiana, (BMC country), go to LSU and into the outdoors.

I like scuba diving and free diving.

There's a cool freediving video for anybody who hasn't heard of it or who cares to watch a crazy video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 32 and probably overpaid for a computer help desk guy.
I almost 6 feet tall and rather skinny and played Rugby in college.
Although I enjoy drinking, probably a bit too much, I drink responsibly and usually end up babysitting the immature ones.
Last year I bought the 1st house I ever lived in and am now working to get it modernized a bit.
I can (and will) talk with anyone after a few. At great lengths.
My Brain to Mouth filter is underdeveloped, though I am working on it. A single beer will short it out though.
I possibly spend entirely too much time on HBT, and am not ashamed of it.

I find CreamyGoodness's posts to be hilarious and am not ashamed to say it.

That was more than one thing, but I am a complicated person.

I'm a volunteer firefighter, busting my ass to try and make Captain within the next 5 years.
Although I'm 6'0", 320 lbs with a 54" chest, I'm often described as "a great big teddy bear"
My 6 yr old Black Lab has epilepsy, and while medicated, is still prone to a couple seizures a year.
Despite being a self-professed movie buff, I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies. And at this point, have no intentions of changing that.

I only have one goal in life and it is learning to country-western yodel.

I sailed as crew in the New York City Mayors Cup with Ted Kennedy as an opponent...he cheated...and won.

I piloted the boat (a 65 foot Catch named Symphony) through a pretty nasty Nor'easter on the way back to Mystic, fun, exciting, and scary :) and sickening for most of the crew...

I'm 36 dropped out of high school in the tenth grade been working full time since. Recently got a high school diploma and an just about to finish my first semester of college working towards a degree in engineering. I'm married for almost 10years have an 18 going on 40 daughter and am totally addicted to brewing and HBT.

I'm a 40 somthing South African
I mess with gate automation for a living.
I dislike the fizzy yellow stuff that we've been brainwashed to believe is beer.
I enjoy cooking and baking.

I did HVA/C for 15 years then got hurt, now I'm in nursing school. I scuba dive in the great lakes or anywhere that has water. I supervise scuba classes and like spending the day watching people learn scuba, it's like watching the intro to the Benny Hill show.

You may not know this but I spent 23 years in the USAF. I'm originally from Syracuse, NY and have lived in Conn, Va, Md, NC, AZ, Colo, Calif, Guam, Germany and of course Nebraska. Why are we here? To brew beer buddy!!! Thanks Yooper for all your time and sharing your knowledge with us!:mug:

Whereabouts in Syracuse? I live in Baldwinsville.

We have quite a few new people that I don't "know" that well at all.

I thought it would be fun for each person, both newer and long-time, to give a one sentence description of yourself telling us something that many of us would not know about you.

Nothing gross (please!) or too serious but just a simple "few people know this but I ......." statement.

I think I'm an open book, so I don't have much that is new or interesting to say. The only thing I have that some of you may not know is that I have another grandson coming, due this summer. I'm a grandma already, of a nearly 3-year-old boy, so this will be my second.

How about you?

I, like everyone else, just found out you're a woman.

Things you may not know about me....

- I'm a musician, been a drummer since 11 y/o and dabble with other instruments. I'm not in a band anymore, but I still write and record original music.
- I'm just as addicted to fishing as I am to brewing.
- I love scuba diving, but don't get to do it very often anymore.
- If I could cook over the camp fire everyday, I would.

I've played golf with my father, his college (U.S.M.A.) roommate, and his roommate's son, only to learn thirty year's later that the son was at that time the drummer for The Talking Heads.

Back