belgian golden strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Are any of you belgian golden strong ale devotees? Every time I make one, I realize how much I love this beer. I'd like to zero in on the best example of the style within reason. What are you using for water profiles, fermenation profiles, types of pils malt, hopping, etc.?

I'm kind of new to the style, but a recent trip to Belgium and drinking several have gotten me hooked. One I particularly want to try to brew is Unibroue's Don de Dieu. I think it is a tremendously well crafted beer with a yeast that perfectly compliments the malt profile. There are a couple of clone threads on this site.

edit: sorry, I think clone recipes for fin du monde are readily available. not so for ddd, but I did find one on brewtoad

there's not a lot in the malt or hops, so i'm curious how the yeast has been treated to best effect. maybe it is just an easier style to brew. i've rarely made a bad one. i'd like to play with the water chemistry more as well.

Ive actually not brewed one yet. I have done two tripels and one dubbel. Only one was all grain and it was a bit different, a tripel karmeliet clone in which I used the Chimay yeast (WLP500). I've made a saison with Safbrew Abbaye. So far, I'm pretty happy with the WLP500. The tripel karmeliet has a pilsener backbone but uses wheat, oats, and barley. I'm going to bottle that one. I think I'll take a stab at the Don de Dieu soon (maybe I'll look into harvesting the yeast from the bottles) and possibly keg it.

Ive actually not brewed one yet. I have done two tripels and one dubbel. Only one was all grain and it was a bit different, a tripel karmeliet clone in which I used the Chimay yeast (WLP500). I've made a saison with Safbrew Abbaye. So far, I'm pretty happy with the WLP500. The tripel karmeliet has a pilsener backbone but uses wheat, oats, and barley. I'm going to bottle that one. I think I'll take a stab at the Don de Dieu soon (maybe I'll look into harvesting the yeast from the bottles) and possibly keg it.

try the wyeast saison yeast. they recommend 90F!

thought i'd revive this a bit if possible. since this post, i've made at least 2 more BGSAs. The first one was a disaster. I dry hopped it with Galaxy hops, and it didn't taste good at all. I've come to think that I just like the malt and yeast character in this beer perhaps. So, this time, I fermented out a 1.053 all-Pils wort with 43 Tinseth IBUs using hop extract. no other hops. I started it at 64F and after two days started ramping it up 2 degrees every twelve hours until it reached 80F. To about 5.25G I then added about a quart of simple syrup with 2.5lb of beet/cane sugar in it. I let that ferment out for a few days and kegged. It is absolutely amazing! I'm wondering if I can replicate a lot of this flavor but without the high alcohol (to make more of a Belgian Blonde.) I'm worried it will be boring without the sugar fermentation at 80F though. Maybe I can start it at like 68F and ramp it up 4 degrees per day starting the next day to get to 80F and omit the sugar to make a lower ABV version that still has great flavor?

Just used wyeast version of BGSA yeast. I like it. Seems more fruity and less clovey than white labs. It also has a little more of the wet dish towel character i always get in the bgsa strains. I think i prefer white lab’s version but this is also very nice

Got it fermenting last night and that is going well. Keeping temp between 64-68 for a few days. After high Krausen I am adding sugar and letting the temp go, It wont be getting higher than 72. Then comes my question....
Most of my information comes from Zymurgy mag.
Its after roughly 8 days to Let it sit for 21 days at temps near 32. Ive never "lagered." Do I need to rack to a secondary (wasn't planning to rack to secondary and never have before). Can I just put my primary in the fridge? Does it have to be 21 days? Will i see a real benefit vs letting it stay in primary for 3 weeks under 70 degrees?

Check your yeast strain and do your research. A lot of the strains mentioned perform best when the temp is raised HIGH at the very end...
mid 60s is fine to start and some benefit from a "diacetyl rest" and even lagering as you mentioned. A few breweries do a warm room to bottle condition . Check out "Brew Like a Monk" if you have not already. Lots of good info on what is traditionally done at some Belgian Breweries.

ok thanks. Let’s say I’m “lagering” will 14 days help or 21 needed? I know it’s guess work considering yeasts and other methods. As for temps this yeast is ok 64-77. Thanks

Hmm...my personal approach would be day 1-3 at 65F (since I only like *some* yeast character), on day 4 raise to 77F and hold through day 7. Check gravity and package. Let it carb and sit at 77F for a few weeks.
Then jam it into the fridge to "lager"...
That keeps it easy IMHO...

Latest posts

Back