Dry hop recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I made a Ruination IPA clone a few months back, and while it was good, I didn't feel like it had the proper hop taste in it. The recipe calls for 1.75oz of Magnum for the boil, with 1oz additions of Centennial at 30, 10 and 1, and then 2oz Centennial for dry hopping.

I had another Stone IPA, I think it was called Enjoy, from a tap at the local pub and it had a much fuller aroma and flavor from the hops. I'm not enough of an expert to identify which were used.

So, any recommendations on using different hops for dry hopping?

The rest of the recipe was 14lbs Pale, 1lb Crystal and Wyeast American Ale in a 2liter starter, so an otherwise simple recipe done with BIAB.

Some of my favorite dry hops are Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, Simcoe, and good ole' Cascade. For me Cascade gives that nice signature classic citrusy/piney American hop forward aroma. Citra can give real intense grapefruit and lychee aroma with a bit of some other citrus like lime in there. Fairly "fruity" hop. Amarillo is intensely citrus, almost orange-like in quality. Columbus I get a lot of "dank" aroma from with some nice resinous qualities as well. Simcoe can be a two-faced hop as sometimes with it I've got the cat-piss/skunky type of aromas, yet other times I get a nice piney aroma with some citrus undertones. When you open up the bag you'll know which one it's going to give you when you take a big whiff.

Anyway, those are American hops I use to dry hop with quite often.

Hmm, maybe I'll try the Amarillo. I've got Cascade rhizomes, so I'll use that when I get a crop in rather than buy some now.

I was in Ithaca 2 weeks ago for college tours, both Cornell and Ithaca College. Twin daughters, one looking for academics, the other music.

The Stone you had was probably Enjoy By. I know I've seen threads with clone recipes, you should check those out to see what they have to say. It's a great beer.

Hmm, maybe I'll try the Amarillo. I've got Cascade rhizomes, so I'll use that when I get a crop in rather than buy some now.

I was in Ithaca 2 weeks ago for college tours, both Cornell and Ithaca College. Twin daughters, one looking for academics, the other music.

Ithaca isn't a bad little town. I've been here way too long. Even left it a couple times and it sucked my back in.

Good luck with twins going to college! And good luck with dry hopping fun! Amarillo is a popular one. It was a hop when I very first used it I didn't like it one bit. But over the years when I had a couple beers that featured it I started to warm to it a lot more. Cascade I think is the hop I couldn't do without. If I only had to use one hop the rest of my life, well I'd probably cry a lot, but in the end I'd go with Cascade.

And as it turns out I put the pot on for the brew about a half hour ago. I was waiting for a rainy day here in NYC and I got one. The problem is I was also looking to do about 50 miles on the bike today. I'm hoping that the rain will stop and I can get out later and at least do 20 fast paced miles.

So I've got Magnum, Centennial, and Citra, with the Citra for dry-hopping.

One of my favorite to dry hop with is Falconer's Flight. As I understand, it's a blend of Citra, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace and others. It has very nice aromatic qualities.

Back