Spiced New England Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
I started an apple wine (8-10% ABV) tonight, with the following recipe.

6 cans apple juice concentrate
1 gallon apple cider
2.5 pounds granny smith apples (pureed)(to hopefully provide some tartness)
4 pounds brown sugar (1/2 dark, 1/2 light
2 cinnamon sticks (in primary)
Water to 5 gallons

Safale 05 yeast

In the secondary I'm planning to add orange zest and oak (medium American cubes).

OG is 1.072

Comment? Suggestions?
Not sure how I want to do the oaking--if I want to put them in now (sometime during primary), during secondary, or if I want to use cherry or hickory chips (toasted) instead.

It's tasting good so far--has been in secondary for a while now. There is no oakyness (I didn't add that much, but I think it's contributing a bit of flavour), and I added two more cinnamon sticks (the flavour from which is obvious). Flavour is dry (but not too much so), with the apple starting to come back, and noticeable cinnamon spiciness.
I have orange peels sitting in vodka, to be added in the tertiary.

More oak, I think. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with where it is. Might back sweeten with juice concentrate when it comes time.

How are you adding the orange zest? When you bottle? I'm super new to brewing, making a orange spiced cider sounds awesome!

It's added in secondary, or after primary fermentation. That way it has time to settle out before bottling.

Back