Stepped pitch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imrook

Reaction score
I recently picked up some out-of-date WLP800 dirt cheap and decided to make my first lager. Since the yeast was really old and mrmalty said the viability was 10% (or less) I nursed the yeast back to health by first making a 500mL starter. It took about 4 days to finally get going, but it worked. I then stepped up to 2L, fermented out and cold crashed for 24 hours. The following day I brewed a 5 gal batch of 1.057 wort. I then realized that a 2L starter was probably not going to be sufficient for a lager of this gravity. A quick check at mrmalty showed I needed 3.8L of starter. I also decided to bank a little bit of yeast for later use.

So here's what I did: I decanted the beer of the starter yeast and added 1.75qt cool, sterile water and resuspended the yeast. 1qt went into a sterilized ball jar, cooled and pitched into the freshly made wort. 1/2 pint went into the yeast bank and 1 pint went into a fresh 2L starter. I let that starter go for 18 hours, cooled and pitched about 24 hours after the initial pitch.

I know this is not the best practice and I don't plan on doing it again, but I'm curious about *how* bad this really is. I see now that I underpitched by about .8L of starter or 21% so that's probably gonna cause some diacytel. What about the first 24 hours of severe underpitching? Will this cause big off-flavor problems, or does the yeast get going so slowly that the additional infusion 24 hours later will smooth out most of that?

I'll answer my own question since the keg has been kicked now. The beer turned out wonderfully. It got lots of compliments from friends. It had no diacetyl and a great smooth round lager flavor.

The next thing to find out is if I made a mistake by banking my yeast under water instead of wort.

Back