Belgian Ardennes vs Abbey II speed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
Recently brewed up 10 gallons of Tripel and split into 2 batches. OG was decently high... 1.085 if I remember correctly (don't have my log book here at the moment).

Two 2L stirplate starters were made using single proofed packages of Wyeast Belgian Ardennes and Belgian Abbey II. Each was chilled/decanted and added to the wort partitions after 2 minutes of pure O2 w/ 2 micron stone.

After pitching, both buckets were temp controlled. 65F for 2 days then ramped up to 75 and held steady.

Checked gravity today (day 14) and was kind of amazed that the Abbey II was 1.013 (almost done) and cloudy but no yeast on top.... BUT the Ardennes had a full kreusen mat on top which looked like it was still chugging away and came out at 1.020 (ways to go).

I've heard tales of Belgian strains taking their sweet time attenuating the last few points just never personally experienced it. Is this phenomenon normal with the provided info?

FYI the force carbed gravity samples were delicious but when it's all said and done, Ardennes wins. Abbey is not phenolic enough for a Tripel, even being at the top of the temperature range.

I have made 2 beers with Ardennes and both were to FG within 2 weeks. Both were ~ 80% attenuation and mashed ~ 152 - 154 and fermented @ ~70. I am a big fan and it drops out nicely when done.

I mashed at 151, so close. Am I just being greedy about it not being done in 2 weeks? Normally all my beers are.

At week three the Ardennes hit 1.010 while the Abbey II stayed 1.013.

Just needed more time to attenuate

Ardenne gives you drier more accidic finish, but, most of those strains do take more then 2 weeks to truly finish/attenuate/cleanup...IME. I do tend to ferment on the cooler side of recommended temp ranges though...

The belgian character imparted by the Ardennes is most excellent.

Back