Beginner questions that aren't easy to google

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Tether

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently started my first venture into small time home brewing, I was looking at Root Beer recipes and it peaked my interest.

I ended up choosing a basic Ginger Beer to start with, as I had the ingredients on hand and there is quite a bit of documentation surrounding it

But most of what I found doesn't answer any of the stupid questions I have.

I will be doing a natural fermentation in-bottle using wild yeast cultures from the ginger skin (Ginger bug)

Is there any danger in this? I don't know much about brewing but I do know you can sometimes create a type of alcohol that is dangerous to consume, could this (ethanol?) be produced with this type of ferment?

I am probably going to be doing a 2-3 day counter sit once bottled to naturally carbonate the drinks, while I don't think this will create much alcohol as I wont be fermenting the entire batch at once, is there a way to test the alcohol content that you guys suggest?

From the recipes I am probably looking at 1.5% by volume at most, I am unsure if just any ol' hydrometer will work for that level of alcohol?

Apologies for the long winded questions, just wanted to cover all my bases

Thanks much

Just for reference, this is the video I will be following, and the same source for my ginger bug recipe

You might try fermenting this in a 1 gallon glass jug (you can buy one, but for a few bucks more just get a jug of cheap wine (or use plastic water bottle) Use an airlock and let it set a few days (or a week) Before putting into bottles, add some "priming sugar" (not too much... it may still have some left) It will be better and have more alcohol (if you don't mind 3 %) This is really more like making a quick cider... check out the cider forum. You are not boiling the ingredients (like when brewing beer) so could be contaminated. I've never made ginger beer (but love ginger) so others here can give you better advice.

Hey guys

Thanks for your responses, I guess in reality I am making more of a slightly alcoholic soda and so moving the thread was a good choice!

I actually don't know what is the best method for the ginger beer. I assume from my smaller knowledge that I actually have a bit of control on whether this beverage is more or less alcoholic, depending on how long I leave the drink to ferment at room temperature, and I guess also depending on how much sugar is actually in the mixture .. and I guess also how active my yeast is?

Would it make a difference fermenting the entire batch in one jug for 48 hours vs the same in smaller 500ml bottles?

I apologize for my noob questions, I guess I don't understand it as much as I thought I did

Main difference would be by doing a 1 gallon batch, then transferring to bottles, you leave some of the sediment behind (use a siphon) but only after it has set a few days, so you would also have more alcohol. If you don't want that, just do the bottles, but don't use too much sugar. Ginger is a strong flavor... he used quite a bit in the video. Other flavors are up to you (I like strong flavors, so like the ones he used) This is going to be a "trial and error" thing... could have exploding bottles if they sit out too long. After a few days, put one in fridge as a tester... if it is well carbonated, put the rest in, otherwise let sit longer. Good luck. I did make root beer once in 2-liter plastic soda bottles. Basically just using the yeast for carbonation. Once in fridge, wait a few days and then carefully our into a glass to leave most of the sediment behind (it doesn't matter, just you taste the yeast more. Hopefully someone else will jump in with better advice.

Back