Beginner / book advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Total beginner

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy my husband a book and what he needs to start brewing his own ale.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a book I can buy him to get started?

Thank you

'How to brew' by John Palmer is very useful and condensed package of information. 4th edition is the latest and available as a book from many brew shops, amazon etc. But all the basics to get started can be found in the 1st edition which is free and can be read at www.howtobrew.com. There are definitely more in-depth books available, but not all of them are focused on homebrewing.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking to buy my husband a book and what he needs to start brewing his own ale.

Thank you

Also, point him in this direction to join the forum himself! There is an enormous amount knowledge (and help) and its also a fun community to be a part of

Thank you

How to Brew, 4th edition (2017) is a excellent book. One can start by reading chapter 1, walks through all the details (equipment, ingredients, ...) for brewing the first batch of beer, then brew their 1st batch of beer. The remaining chapters can be read while waiting (im)patiently for the beer to finish.

Personally, I would avoid all earlier editions of the How To Brew (and howtobrew.com which is based on the 1st (1999) edition of the book).

I'll also offer a link from reddit's /r/homebrewing forum which has an interesting approach to categorizing and reviewing homebrewing books: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/5ivg5c/book_recommendations/dbbbbh6/

Also, point him in this direction to join the forum himself! There is an enormous amount knowledge (and help) and its also a fun community to be a part of

This. I learned a lot more on the basics and how things actually look/go by reading here and watching many YouTube videos. Then I bought the Palmer book and understood what he was talking about. But yes someone can start with the book too to get along.

'How to brew' by John Palmer and The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian both great books with tons of info. and of course become a member to the message board great info here and 24/7 help.
cheers

Back