Beet Wine - My First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a late update on this -

Since my last posting, I put it away to bulk-age. For a month or so, I told myself to forget about it, and after a while, I did! Somewhere in that time, I re-filled the air-lock a couple of times, but that's about it.

Last night, I took a look at this wine. I noticed that the colour wasn't quite the same, but that was to be expected, as the particulates that made up the colour would eventually drop out, I figured. I noticed a lot of those particulates floating around, so I put the fermenter into the refrigerator, hoping that they will fall over the course of the next couple of weeks. If this does not work, then I will attempt to use some fining agent to achieve the same goal.

The wine smelled great; mildy of beets, but with some other quality that I liked -

I bottled this wine on Monday evening, 2 October 2017.

I was able to get 4 full bottles and just a few tablespoons shy of a fifth bottle; that one will be a "sampler" over the next couple-three weeks, I guess.

The particulates in the wine had settled and it was very clear, very beautiful, and had a nice, hue between ruby red and burgundy. The first four bottles - held up to the light - were so clear that I could read fine print on a newspaper through them. The fifth picked up a tiny bit of lees that settled out afterwards.

I took a small taste, and was impressed. You definitely get the flavor of the beets, with only a hint of earthiness - just enough to make it interesting, and not obnoxious in any way at all; at least, to me. Having said that, I could see where some folks would want to add a cinnamon stick, a couple of cloves and a few allspice berries - I think it would be an interesting (and very good) variation.

The only thing I would change the next time I make this would be to add some acid blend, just to liven it up a bit and bring it onto focus. I am not sure exactly how much I would add, but when the time comes I can consult the various recipes posted earlier in this thread and go with a reasonable amount.

All-in-all, I am fairly confident that I can report success! I hope that my efforts reflected well on my grandfather - and on my heritage - and I will make this wine again, with all certainty.

I have some beet juice, but work constraints havent given me time to start a batch. but eventually will get one going. You gonna like the beet wine, tasted some others have brewed and they are good. In the mean time im gonna look in the dungeon to see what unsual brew i have from last year to open today.

This is the recipe for my father in law's beet wine:

Carl & Aletha Meyer’s Beet Wine

This is how Carl wrote the recipe:
“8 or 9 medium sized beets, wash and cut into cubes, boil in 1 gallon of water (I add just a little more as it boils away some). Then drain and set aside until next day.
Then add 3 pounds of sugar & as much black pepper as will cover a dime. Boil 10 minutes, strain through a cloth & when lukewarm add ½ cake of compressed yeast on a small piece of toast, put in a warm place for 1 week then strain into a jug or bottles. In 6 months it will be as good as port wine.
If it gets 6 months old ha ha.
Use an earthen crock to let stand in, then fill into jug”

My husband said their beet wine was better than the chokecherry wine and the chokecherry wine is AMAZING!

Here is the label that I created for this wine:

c5PC2uJ.jpg

This is the recipe for my father in law's beet wine:

Carl & Aletha Meyer’s Beet Wine

This is how Carl wrote the recipe:
“8 or 9 medium sized beets, wash and cut into cubes, boil in 1 gallon of water (I add just a little more as it boils away some). Then drain and set aside until next day.
Then add 3 pounds of sugar & as much black pepper as will cover a dime. Boil 10 minutes, strain through a cloth & when lukewarm add ½ cake of compressed yeast on a small piece of toast, put in a warm place for 1 week then strain into a jug or bottles. In 6 months it will be as good as port wine.
If it gets 6 months old ha ha.
Use an earthen crock to let stand in, then fill into jug”

My husband said their beet wine was better than the chokecherry wine and the chokecherry wine is AMAZING!

Just stumbled on the thread seeing "Beet wine".........That recipe "almost" looks like the beets are just for color!...... :D

Hi there. Ive just put my beet wibe into secondary fermentation. While it was steeping in the bucket it stsrted fermenting on its own!.
When I strained it through muslin tonight it was almost syrupy! It smelt so good too!
Its now under an airlock and bubbling away quite nicely.
Real simple ingredients and method

4lb beets chopped up roughly into a bucket with 6 pints boiling water. Do not peel.
Add 2oz root ginger, 6-8 cloves and a cinnamon quill. Stir and cover. Leave four days. Strain and add 3lb brown sugar, juice 2 lemons and 1oz bread yeast.
attach airlock and leave in a warm place.
When bubbling ceases, stir and leave 3 days.
Strain through very thick muslin into a cask and cork. leave 8-9 months
Bottle and store in a cool dark place.
My carboy of beet is in the wash house in a bucket as I wasnt sure about the stormy looking fermentation!
This apparently tastes like Port!

I was able to try some of this on New Year's Day. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is aging quite well, and in many ways it is exceeding my expectations.

The colour is not what I expected, but since I haven't done this before, I wasn't sure what I should be expecting. It could be just a little clearer (more clear?), but that is my fault, not the wine's, as I think I should have racked it one more time before bottling. I'll try to get a photo the next time I have some of this.

The taste, however, was truly unique and in many ways quite good. The earthiness that I was expecting has dialed back quite a bit, but is still there enough to remind you that this is indeed beetroot wine. Aside from that, there is a flavor in the wine that is definitely beet-like, and in a good way. As I said above I'm pretty impressed.

In all, I am calling this a success - I might be able to "refine" it a bit by adding acid blend next time; but to be honest, I am not convinced that is totally necessary. It might help with colour retention and balancing the flavor a bit - but then again, it's pretty darn good, just like this.

Saturn - good luck, and let us know how it goes!

AKTom - I am "reasonably certain" that it is not absolutely necessary to peel the beets. I did it mostly because the beets looked like they needed it, and because that's what my grandfather did. Having said that, as long as they are clean, I would think it would be fine not to peel them.

Back