Beerswap 07: Fiddup_is_a_middup's Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddup_is_a_middup

Reaction score
I sent my Golden Gooseberry Belgian Wit to Vermicious, Rhoobarb, and lostforatime.

3 lb Muntons Wheat (55% Wheat/45%Barley) DME
2 lb Muntons Extra Light DME
.5 lb Cara Pils Dextrine Malt
.5 lb White Wheat
.5 oz Hallertau Northern Brewer Hops 4.2% AA (60 Min)
.5 oz Hallertau Northern Brewer Hops 4.2% AA (2 Min)
.5 oz Corriander Seed (10 Min)
.5 oz Corriander Seed (2 Min)
.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel (10 Min)
.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel (2 Min)
White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WL400
3.5 lb fresh Golden Gooseberries

Pour grains into 2 gal cold tap water, Bring to 153 deg for 30 min, rest for 10. Strained off grains, add extract, bring to boil. Add Boiling Hops. Follow Time schedule above. Cool, Pitch Yeast. After 6 days in primary I racked on top of Gooseberries that I had frozen and steeped at 180 deg for 15 min. Racked off Gooseberries 15 days later. Sat in clearing tank for 7 days.

Temp at pitching: 66 deg
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.87%

I really enjoyed this beer and hope you do to. My only complaint was Head Retention, but I will fix that next time. Cheers :mug:

Sorry bout that, I got them Saturday. Haven't tasted them yet due to a cold, but will be doing a tasting with some friends this weekend.

I got them. I have all three of my samples and will be trying them either tonight or tomorrow night.:D Thanks! Cool as hell label, BTW!

I (along with my girlfriend) tasted fiddup's Golden Gooseberry Belgian Wit this weekend. Here were our impressions:

Pour/Appearance:
Nice pffft sound. Poured a huge head into a Wiezen glass. A bit overcarbonated, but the head soon turned rocky, then dissipated to a thin profile. Hazy golden color, as expected for this style. Lotsa tiny bubbles, just beautiful to look at in the light.:)

Aroma:
Mildly fruity aroma. No hop aroma noticeable. I can also pick up the spices in the aroma.

Taste:
At first it danced somewhat prickly on the tongue. Slightly banana flavor up front with a more fruity finish. I’m guessing those are the gooseberries. Having never had gooseberries, I wasn’t sure!:D No overwhelming bitterness, which is appropriate for the style. Mouthfeel is nice, not heavy or anchored by the malt. Not cloying or overpowering. Malt is still there, but the fruit and flavors supplied by the yeast strain are the stars here. Very well balanced - especially considering this is a fruit beer, where the fruit can sometimes dominate too much for my liking.

Overall:
A very good, very drinkable beer. This would be perfect for a nice, hot summer day. If someone wanted “something like a Blue Moon”, I’d hand them this. They’d enjoy it a whole lot more. Very well done.

BTW, way cool label!

Pour/appearance:

Heavy carbonation that has left a beautifull head halfway through drinking it. Very true to style. A nice golden color, but a little dark. I suspect that was from the munton's, I know that some other extracts will give you a lighter color, but munton's is usually cheaper.

Aroma:

I love the aroma, very light and complex. I believe it's the gooseberries that dominate the nose, but I think I can pick out the orange and spice.

Taste:

Well-balanced with the fruit up front and the malt lingering at the end. The tartness and acidity are definitely noticeable, again true to style.

Overall:

A wonderfull beer, you are right to be proud. I plan to make some belgians this summer and this recipe or some variation will be in my rotation.

My only question is, what temp did you ferment at?

Appearance:
Nice pop when opened, and clean amber color

Aroma:
very fruity

Taste:
good malt flavor, light fruit taste, very sweet

overall:

Very nice beer! Wounderful mouth feel. Would tell others about the sweet gooseberry delight. Thank you

Back