Beersmith3 Water Addition Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Ro

Reaction score
AFC9F4F7-4035-45C6-9E1B-441BC09617D2.jpeg
95280CB9-243A-42CD-AD28-D62126713F90.jpeg
I’m having a hard time figuring out where Beersmith is getting my strike water volume when I’m telling it 1.5 qt/lb and 12.25lb.

What are they accounting for?

Attachments

• AA0057F2-D3FC-4ED2-9D48-027F34B106EF.jpeg
    AA0057F2-D3FC-4ED2-9D48-027F34B106EF.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 45
View attachment 605180 View attachment 605178 I’m having a hard time figuring out where Beersmith is getting my strike water volume when I’m telling it 1.5 qt/lb and 12.25lb.

What are they accounting for?
I've just recently started with Beersmith, but I've been using Qbrew for awhile.

The software is going to take into account grain absorption, as well as the info you entered into your equipment profile, such as any leftover wort remaining in your kettle. It'll do the same for your fermenter profile, so that you net the desired amount for your keg or bottles.

Without a look at your equipment profile and losses to kettle trub, it is difficult to determine the difference. I suspect that it is in these figures as @Cato1507 suggests.

The other thing that comes to mind is where the screen shots are taken. I do not have the mobile version, but if the top picture is of the mash profile as given and the second is of the mash profile as applied to a specific recipe, then the difference in the grain amount from written profile to actual recipe may account for the difference as well.

Without a look at your equipment profile and losses to kettle trub, it is difficult to determine the difference. I suspect that it is in these figures as @Cato1507 suggests.

The other thing that comes to mind is where the screen shots are taken. I do not have the mobile version, but if the top picture is of the mash profile as given and the second is of the mash profile as applied to a specific recipe, then the difference in the grain amount from written profile to actual recipe may account for the difference as well.
I plugged those numbers into Beersmith mobile app and got 18.38 qt. You may want to check that you clicked "Save" instead of the back button on your phone. If you go back without saving, it doesn't keep the changes.

Latest posts

Back