BeerSmith question regarding starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m brewing a 1.065 Charlie Papazian Rosemary Pale Ale using WLP862 which is a lager yeast that Charlie Papazian uses on most of his recipes. According to BS I need 491 billion cells if I leave it at as a lager yeast.

If I go in under yeast /edit details/ change from a lager yeast to an ale. It now reflects 245billion cells needed. I plan on fermenting at 65-68 which is Ale temperature.

I assume I have this correct?

Last edited:
Yes, for the settings that are in BeerSmith. The program uses different pitching rates depending upon the type of fermentation profile used. If you want a yeast count for an ale it uses 0.75 M cells/ml/degree Plato; for lagers it is 1.5 M cells/ml/degree Plato. You can adjust the target pitching rates for different types of yeasts by clicking on 'options' > 'Yeast starter' where you can see the parameters for calculating starters.

Thanks! I was about to seriously over pitch. This is the first time I have ever used a lager yeast for an Ale.

Back