Recipe Maker in Training

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBrown

Reaction score
I want to get into doing recipes. I'm a 1 gallon brewer. I want to order a bulk of ingredients and build recipes from that bulk. As opposed to building a recipe then ordering the ingredients.

What would be a good mix of grains to buy?
What's a good way to store grains as well?
What would be a good mix of Hops to buy?

Happy Brewing:tank:

2 row would be the best to have in bulk. I've heard a lot of people then order specialty grains per recipe. Tupperware should be sufficient to hold most of the grain, especially for one gallon batches. I use food grade buckets from Lowes, bout $5.

As for hops and other grains, it really depends on what you like to brew the most. Cascade is a good all around to have on hand and others will depend on your style.

twistr25 said:
2 row would be the best to have in bulk. I've heard a lot of people then order specialty grains per recipe. Tupperware should be sufficient to hold most of the grain, especially for one gallon batches. I use food grade buckets from Lowes, bout $5.

As for hops and other grains, it really depends on what you like to brew the most. Cascade is a good all around to have on hand and others will depend on your style.

+1

It would help t know what styles you like to brew.

I'm mostly interested in ales. IPA, pale, amber, blonde, Belgian, wheat, American and English.

Ok this is what I'd do in terms of grain.

70% pale 2 row
10% Munich
8% crystal 60
7% chocolate
5% carapils

For hops I'd go with

Cascade
Willamete
EKG
Magnum

Maybe some Centenniel or some Simcoe if you want some more variety.

That should get you to through ambers, ipa's, pales, and blondes.

The Belgians and wheats are a whole different ball game but the other styles can share ingredients.

Thanks for your input. This is what I ended up getting

Pounds
21 pale 2 row
3 Munich
2 crystal 60
2 crystal 40
2 carapils

1 ounce:
Cascade
Willamete
EKG
Magnum
Centenniel
Simcoe
Columbus
Chinook

image-528613683.jpg

MrBrown said:
Thanks for your input. This is what I ended up getting

Pounds
21 pale 2 row
3 Munich
2 crystal 60
2 crystal 40
2 carapils

1 ounce:
Cascade
Willamete
EKG
Magnum
Centenniel
Simcoe
Columbus
Chinook

That should definitely cover most of your bases!

Cheers!

Back