Made a dumb pump mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I just introduced a pump to my brew set up. I have only two brews under my belt with it, so I am getting a lesson on using it/cleaning it/etc...

Well, I just realized this morning that I may have not sanitized it before I recirculated my wort through it yesterday while whirl pooling. If I remember correctly, I flamed out and added my whirlpool hops. I then started to pump.... but I had already shut off the flame. I then turned on the chiller water to get the temp down to 180, and whirlpooled for about 30 min at that temp.

So, I did not send boiling water through the pump or lines, nor did I send in any starsan. Do you think the hot water just after flame out for a minute or two did anything to clean my pump/lines?

What methods do you guys use in a set up like this? Do you turn on the pump while the kettle is still rolling and send boiling water through it? If so, for how long?

Secondly, whats the accepted clean up method for march pumps ( mine came with absolutely no instructions)? I pumped oxyclean thru, then clear water. Do you need to take the pump head off and clean that way also? How about starsan? Should it be sanitized prior to use?

Thanks for helping me out, I hope I did not screw up this batch over this dumb mistake
:drunk:

180* water should do the trick. But it would've been better at boiling, I think. Anyway you should be good to go in that area.

I only use my pump for water. Pump water to MLT. Sparge, and pump water to IC. Then I use it to pump boiling water thru a spray nozzle during clean up. MLT to BK, & BK to fermenter are all gravity.

I think if you pump boiling, (or close to it), water thru your pump for several minutes to clean it, you'll be ok.

My cleaning water is left from the chilling process.

Just my two cents.

pb

180* water should do the trick. But it would've been better at boiling, I think. Anyway you should be good to go in that area.

I only use my pump for water. Pump water to MLT. Sparge, and pump water to IC. Then I use it to pump boiling water thru a spray nozzle during clean up. MLT to BK, & BK to fermenter are all gravity.

I think if you pump boiling, (or close to it), water thru your pump for several minutes to clean it, you'll be ok.

My cleaning water is left from the chilling process.

Just my two cents.

pb

Cool, thanks for the feedback.... It was a pretty pricey grain/hop bill, so I was hoping I did not wreck things

The easy way to sanitize the pump and chiller is to just start recirculating with 15 minutes left in the boil. Then once you hit 0 and start chilling, it's already running. It sanitizes, gets the hot break dropped out and nice clear wort out. If you have a system that can recirculate, it makes it lots easier. You can even do a hopstand.

I definitely think your good with 180 for 30 minutes. That is still a good pasteurization temp/time.

Back