I need a head turning brew to impress on a family vacay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crock_it_out

Reaction score
I have 2 brews under my belt...a Brewers Best IPA and a LHBS Belgian Wit. I'm going to a week vacation at the beach with my wife's family and I need a great summer brew that will impress!! My father in law is a Busch light drinker(piss water I know)....oddly enough he'd be the hardest to impress. So given me your best, favorite or most impressive brew that you think I perfect for summer days at the beach. I am new at this and don't have the equipment for AG recipes. Thanks homebrewers

a pale pale, with 1-2oz total of noble hops

lightest extract
sub 1/2 of any crystal in the kit/recipe with carapils or 10L if carapils isn't available
might even sub a pound or so extract for rice syrup solids/rice extract.

us-05 fermented as cool as you can.

no chocolate, blueberries, peat malt, nothing.

All these votes for BM centennial blonde just about has me convinced....are these votes based on AG or extract versions. I will be doing extract version because I don't have the equipment to brew with all grain. I appreciate all the input

American Wheat, lots of recipes out there. Great with a lemon. Kolsch good too.

I did the easy Hefeweizen extract recipe from here and it has blown the minds of several of my beer drinking friends. And mine too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/simple-hefeweizen-186432/

I changed mine just a bit with Cara-pils instead of Carahell and pitched WLP-300. Beware, 300 is pretty intense and ended up all over the place within 24 hours of pitching, so blow-off is recommended by me based on experience. But my buddies are asking for some more. Of course, it is free for them so who wouldn't. It was my third batch (talking as if I am some seasoned brewer - I am actually about to start batch 6 and it happens to be the hefe again to see if I am lucky or have the makings of some consistency.)

Easy Peazy Lawn Mower Beer (Cream Ale) Extract...

1 Can (3.3lbs) Light or extra light LME
2 lbs pilsen light DME
1 lb Corn Sugar
2 oz of Willamette Hops (or substitute your own)
Safale US-05 dry yeast or Nottingham dry yeast
( no extra measuring :D all straight out of the package )

At first boil add LME and 1 oz of hops
boil 40 minutes
add 2 /bs of DME and 1lb Sugar
boil 10 minutes
Add 1 oz of hops
boil 10 minutes....DONE

My BMC drinking buddies love this...easy beer to "bridge" over to craft beers..

If want something fancier, Go with an American Blond/Centennial Blond....all good suggestions here

Best of Luck!

+1 cream ale... we called ours Ghost of a cream ale, mainly cause I could only find ag recipes for it and we live in casper... we have nottried this years recipe but last years was fantastic and the bud liht drinkers loved it... est. Ibu 20

6lbs midwest pilsen lme 3lovibond
1lbs flaked corn
1/2 lb rice solids (add abv lighten body)

50min 1/2oz new zealand pacifica 5.2aau
8min .4oz el dorado 15, 3aau & .5oz nz pacifica
5min irish moss

We are trying the white labs cream ale yeast this time...

Steep the flaked corn for 30-45 min at about 150-160 (I think we ended up just throwing them in when we started the burner then gave them about 15min in the 150-160 range then took them out just as the boil started... do the rest as normal...

Last years recipe is as follows: est. Ibu 17.7
5lbs pilsen
1lbs flaked corn
1lbs rice solids

45min .75oz hallertauer 3.2aau
30min .75oz hallertauer
10min .5oz hallertaur

Wyeast kolsch activator pack yeast

Back