Fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC_Robertson

Reaction score
This is how my primary has looked for the past 4 days? Is this a very thin krausen? A stalled fermentation? Or infection? Please help and advise. Thanks in advance!

image-1559627922.jpg

Looks like it rose up and settled back in leaving behind the residue on the sides. All systems normal....

Thanks guys! Should I just take a gravity reading and I'd it's where I want it, rack it? Or should I wait for the krausen to drop again? Thanks again!

If the gravity is the same two days in a row, you can rack it. You can also wait till it drops, it won't hurt it to leave it in the primary for a while, I often primary for 4 weeks of more, almost always at least 3 weeks, unless doing a 1.060 or lower pale ale, or similar lighter color beer.

Take a gravity reading if the timeline is important... there is no other way to know for sure. Krausen usually falls, but not always.

I personally just do at least three week primaries; this really removes me having to worry about when the beer is "done".

Back