Gift for my wife for first born

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
Our first is due in a month so I was thinking of getting my wife something nice for 10 months of carrying our kid and something that will be kept for decades to come that will always remind her of this moment in our lives. So I ask HBT for ideas...

Go to a small town jeweler (not mall) and buy loose gems. Look into them and get exactly what you want. I.e., look carefully at diamonds and don't buy anything yellow. These small shops don't own the gems, they get them on consignment. So, if you don't see exactly what you want, tell them to get some more. They gladly will. I've done this many times.

Why loose gems? Give the gems to your wife and tell her to work with the jeweler to create the perfect setting for it. My wife is very particular about the setting for rings, earrings, necklace, etc. I find that it's best to just buy great gems then let her work with the jeweler.

Suggestion tanzanite. Get 2 largish long ones, marquis cut. Look for stones with some purple in them, not just the deep blue. Believe me, they make gorgeos earrings. Let her choose the setting for the earrings, preferably a low-hanging gold setting.

BT6-113A_orig.jpg

1. Figure out what your wife likes
2. give it to her
3. spend the next 3-5 years not sleeping very much

I bet, that in a few weeks/months she will really want some time away from a new, crying child - give her a chance to escape for a few hours or a day.

Pictures. Get some right after delivery, and as many as you can get in the 1st hours of life. In 35 years it will be the best gift you have of the memory.

10 months? thats like a month overdue, anyway im thinking kegerator, who wouldnt be happy with brand new kegerator, special after 9 months (10 in this case) of not drinking

A charm bracelet with the first charm being the babies birthstone? A ring with the babies birthstone? The good thing about a charm bracelet (like pandora or something) is that you can keep adding to it on birthdays, mother days, Christmases etc.

Polboy said:
10 months? thats like a month overdue, anyway im thinking kegerator, who wouldnt be happy with brand new kegerator, special after 9 months (10 in this case) of not drinking

No that is the big lie. It is actually 40 weeks to term. I do want to upgrade to a 4 tap though then I could always keep her favorite IIPA on tap :)

passedpawn said:
Go to a small town jeweler (not mall) and buy loose gems. Look into them and get exactly what you want. I.e., look carefully at diamonds and don't buy anything yellow. These small shops don't own the gems, they get them on consignment. So, if you don't see exactly what you want, tell them to get some more. They gladly will. I've done this many times.

Why loose gems? Give the gems to your wife and tell her to work with the jeweler to create the perfect setting for it. My wife is very particular about the setting for rings, earrings, necklace, etc. I find that it's best to just buy great gems then let her work with the jeweler.

Suggestion tanzanite. Get 2 largish long ones, marquis cut. Look for stones with some purple in them, not just the deep blue. Believe me, they make gorgeos earrings. Let her choose the setting for the earrings, preferably a low-hanging gold setting.

Yeah I have been sitting on a sapphire for a number of years that I was going to pair with a tsavorite but the goldsmith quoted so high on a custom setting I just had the tsavorite set by itself. I was kind of thinking finding a match to it and having some nice earrings made as she tends to be very minimalist in the jewelry department.

Say "I gave you a kid, what else do you want from me?!"

LOL, I actually said that to the wife.

Pictures. Get some right after delivery, and as many as you can get in the 1st hours of life. In 35 years it will be the best gift you have of the memory.

^This. I also broke down and got her a gift-- a framed photo of her in the O.R. when she saw our baby girl for the first time.

A charm bracelet with the first charm being the babies birthstone? A ring with the babies birthstone? The good thing about a charm bracelet (like pandora or something) is that you can keep adding to it on birthdays, mother days, Christmases etc.

^also this. The pandora thing has been such a blessing. I've got every special occasion covered for at least the next year or so, just filling it up with charms :D

EDIT: just read your last post. this may not jive with the "minimalistic in the jewelry department" part. But I'd ask her what she thought of the bracelets, just in case. My wife doesnt wear a LOT of jewelry, but she still loves her pandora bracelet.

Yeah I have been sitting on a sapphire for a number of years that I was going to pair with a tsavorite but the goldsmith quoted so high on a custom setting I just had the tsavorite set by itself. I was kind of thinking finding a match to it and having some nice earrings made as she tends to be very minimalist in the jewelry department.

I returned a few jewelry items until I discovered that any gem was OK, but she was very picky about the settings. I'll never buy a "set" gem again, and we'll both be very happy about that.

Bensiff said:
Our first is due in a month so I was thinking of getting my wife something nice for 10 months of carrying our kid and something that will be kept for decades to come that will always remind her of this moment in our lives. So I ask HBT for ideas...

At the risk of being cliche, I stayed away from birthstone and opted for "mother" of pearl earrings. She got the connection right away (and liked that I thought outside the box). I got her nice ones from David Yerman, though they could have had for much less if they weren't name brand

Not so much a keepsake, but I told my wife, as we were close to #1 arriving, that I'd bought her something as a "congratulations, we're parents" present (a 1 hour massage at a golf resort not far from us). Followed by saying if she was so inclined to present me with a comparably valued present, a bottle of Don Julio 1942 Anejo would be appropriate...

I nursed that bottle for over a year...

Now I need to think up something with #4 (and LAST!!!) arriving in Aug...

mikeasu said:
Not so much a keepsake, but I told my wife, as we were close to #1 arriving, that I'd bought her something as a "congratulations, we're parents" present (a 1 hour massage at a golf resort not far from us). Followed by saying if she was so inclined to present me with a comparably valued present, a bottle of Don Julio 1942 Anejo would be appropriate...

I nursed that bottle for over a year...

Now I need to think up something with #4 (and LAST!!!) arriving in Aug...

Yeah that had crossed my mind. A good spa day. Then I can sit at home and have some lagavulin with a liga privada 9. Or perhaps go really non traditional and build the AR that she has been hinting at :). She is also an avid runner and triathlete so I was thinking if something along those lines as she has already signed up for a triathlon at the end of summer. I just can't think of something that would be cherished for decades to come along those lines.

Back