BeerGun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customrx2002

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Blichmann Beer Gun to bottle root beer in glass bottles? I use one all the time for my beer. Now my kids want to bottle their root beer and give it to family and friends. They have their own keg and force carb. I have beer bottles for miles and the kids would like to use them. Thx.

Soda is carbed significantly higher than beer (8-10pst vs. 30ish), so using beer bottles for soda is a bad idea. Find a glass Coke bottle & compare the weight to a beer bottle.

I don't have a beer gun(I use the growler filler attachment for my perlicks), but have tried filling beer bottles with my home made root beer. I have not had any luck yet, it always is flat after I open a bottle that I have filled from my kegs.

Hot damn, first time actually posting here.

I make rootbeer/cream soda/other pop for my roommates (not big beer guys like myself), and I usually just force carb to bottle the stuff so I have kegs open for beer. I've had some great luck using a makeshift counter-pressure filler.

Us a picnic tap with a number 2 drilled bung (I think? whichever one fits bottles) and put some racking tubing in on the other end. It the bung should fit into the bottle snugly, where the tubing reaches the bottom of the bottle and the picnic tap is on the outside.

Set the pressure on the keg to 3-5 psi and start to fill the bottles. Make sure the bung is air tight. When the flow stops, "burp" the bung to let some pressure out. The counter-pressure keeps all the CO2 from foaming out of the pop and leaves a proper amount of carbonation. Hope this helps!

Back