Beer Swap completed, Critque

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
OtherWhiteMeat and I did a swap of brews. I sent him a couple of bottles of my Scottish Export and he sent me a couple bottles of his Apricot Weizen.

This is the feedback he sent me:

"I just took the bottles to a gaming session at a friends last night. I had everyone there try it. Most poeple liked as a whole. We were most surprised with the body. Everyone expected a much heavyer beer. We were also missing the bitterness and/or hop aroma. Im not use to scottish exports but i think it might be better with a little more hop in both areas. It is something I will experiment with in the furture and have recorded the recipe and added it to my maser folder "

Everyone has differnet tastes that why they're so many styles of beer. Scottish ales by defination aren't supposed to be hoppy. Just enough to ballance out some of the sweetness. The beer is very dark because I used some roast barley in it but has a redish hue when held to the light. It has no aftertaste but full flavor.

I sampeled his Apricot Weizen and was surprised by the lack of apricot flavor. It's barely perceptable. When tasted right from the fridge, it's flavor is mostly just hop character with no sweetness. As it warms, the complex flavors begin to emerge and the apricot starts to come across with a clean crisp after taste. The wheat tastes really great at warmer temps. It forms a nice head that settels down quickly and is good to the last drop. I like it. No sweetness and faint appricot notes. Definately not over powering.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for the great comments.
Before trying the scottish export, I knew nothing about the style. The comments above were based on my first taste. After reading about the style on the Beer Judge Certification web site, I had the second bottle he sent and I must say, scott has a wonderful example of a scottish export 80/-. Low body, low hop, malty smooth beer with a light roasty taste. I wish I could describe it as well as he did mine, but do to my lack of experience this is as good as its going to get. :)
Thanks again scott, it was a pleasure.
OWM

Back