Beer stone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
Cleaning some bottles today and put them on the fast rack to dry and i noticed some scum in the bottles, im thinking its beer stone, tried to get a picture but wont show, its like water stain with bristle marks, any household items i can use? Vinegar maybe?

Are these bottles you've been using, or did they come from somewhere else (i.e., recycled)? If the latter, maybe dried beer/mold in the bottoms.

If it's dried beer or mold, I've had good luck mixing up some dilute Clorox solution (1 cup to a gallon), then pouring a few ounces into each bottle. Let it soak in overnight, rinse well, inspect.

One of these is helpful.
61ZrBR5CSYL._SL1500_.jpg

I had that jet thing too lost it moving, no these are bottles I purchased doubt its mold or anything i always rinse immediately after using it definitely looks almost bonded to the glass like soap scum or something, im gonna try some vinegar maybe dissolve it, thanks bud

I used high strength star san solution seemed to help, i had one stubborn bottle i pulled

I let stubborn ones sit overnight full of water with a pinch of Oxyclean free. If it's still there in the morning, I just recycle it.

I've used vinegar for it with no luck, but for some reason the cheap lemon-juice I keep for cleaning my coffee pot/machine/mugs, (or to squirt in tea when I'm too lazy to cut a lemon), works great with just a squirt swished around, left to sit a while and then blasted with hot water.

I've used vinegar for it with no luck, but for some reason the cheap lemon-juice I keep for cleaning my coffee pot/machine/mugs, (or to squirt in tea when I'm too lazy to cut a lemon), works great with just a squirt swished around, left to sit a while and then blasted with hot water.
I picked up an old whiskey bottle that has some kind of scale that resists almost everything. I'll try the juice next. I hate to use CLR on brewing equipment.

Let me know how it works. (I don't wanna being giving faulty advice!) ;)

Back