Beer Recipator 2.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtshamrock

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was curious if anyone here uses or have used the Beer Recipator? http://hbd.org/recipator/

I am looking to get into Beer Smith, and I was wondering how it stacked up against the Beer Recipator.

So if anyone here uses or have used either one, which do you prefer and why?

I'm just an extract brewer so I dont need any fancy software but I do like to be real organized and I like the simplicity of the Beer Recipator, although the calculations on some recipes are off for me, for example my OG's are almost always less then what the Beer Recipator tells me it should be, not by a couple degrees either, like 10 degrees sometimes! This is why I'm curious if any one here uses The Beer Recipator and if you do and also used Beer Smith how do they compare to each other?

Thanks for any comments.

Hello everyone! I was curious if anyone here uses or have used the Beer Recipator? http://hbd.org/recipator/

I am looking to get into Beer Smith, and I was wondering how it stacked up against the Beer Recipator.

So if anyone here uses or have used either one, which do you prefer and why?

I'm just an extract brewer so I dont need any fancy software but I do like to be real organized and I like the simplicity of the Beer Recipator, although the calculations on some recipes are off for me, for example my OG's are almost always less then what the Beer Recipator tells me it should be, not by a couple degrees either, like 10 degrees sometimes! This is why I'm curious if any one here uses The Beer Recipator and if you do and also used Beer Smith how do they compare to each other?

Thanks for any comments.

Frankly there are a few things in this sport worth spending money on and for under $19 you can get Beersmith. It is a wonderful program with only a few minor drawbacks. This way you have the program locally on your machine, all your recipes, your brewlog, ingredients, etc. etc. can all be integrated. When you turn into a brewing hound and start getting more into it you will really see its value.

As for not hitting the target OG's with extract recipes, not sure what to tell you there... but rule of thumb if you multiply LME by .7 per lb you should get the approximate OG numbers that mean something... 7 lbs = 49 or 1.049 OG
Dry you get a bit more per lb. You can look at a recipe and see if it makes sense this way. I don't know much about that recipators database and how much of it is verified or if anyone can just throw a recipe up there. As much time as you spend making beer you should make sure the recipe is worthy if you are duplicating one. Of course if you're making one up you're in experimental mode and that doesn't count :) ... Look towards our recipe database for some sure hits, and if you're not sure ask here about a recipe.

Awesome man, thank you, I will check out those recipes. I'm gonna go with Beer Smith, seems like a practical choice as I do want to upgrade to all grain in the future.

Back