First co2 refill .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manco171

Reaction score
Going to get my co2 tank filled. It was first filled in 2007 I believe and used a few times then retired for a few years. After getting back into homebrewing and getting all the foam issues worked out of my kegging set-up, I am going for a refill today. The co2 lasted quite a long time and I was surprised at how long it lasted, carbing, serving, and purging kegs. Refill seems such a small price to pay compared to bottling. My homebrewing has certainly progressed. I remember bottling my first batch by getting a siphon going on a length of hose and pinching the hose by hand after each bottle!

I still bottle from time to time but a bottle tree, racking cane, bottling wand, and a better sense of WTH is going on has entered the equation:mug:

Anyone else remember their first refill? LOL

You might have to get that tank recertified - typically every five years. Fire extinguisher places are usually the cheapest place for this. If you are going to exchange, then, nevermind.

I have 3 tanks now, 2 have already had to re recertified

Dang I forgot about that. I'm going to call them and see what the process is. I think I'm going to keep my tank. Thanks for the reminder

Well, I took a 5lb that I already had and a 2.5 that came with my kegorator. The 2.5 was filled once before also but leaked everything due to a small leak on the reg that I didn't notice. Walked in the door and the guy said, "next time come on a pick-up because we aren't supposed to let you carry them in a car." I said what about in the trunk? He said no, has to be a pickup. This seemed strange so I said why is that, because danger of building up heat in a car? He said no, but because of danger of exploding and proceeded to tell me about someone who had a propane tank with a small leak and parked car in garage and next morning got in car and spark caused an explosion.
I wanted to tell him that co2 is used in fire extinguishers but thought he should've known that.
So next He calls me back and shows me an obvious leak on the 2.5 and says no charge on that one. Gives me an exchange on the 5lb one (my tank and the exchange are both green). I pay $9.72 and take tanks to my car then I notice the sticker on the 5lb says "oxygen!" Went back in to show them and another guy said that he made a mistake. They refilled my original tank with a 10-05 date stamp! Wow!

Make sure you're not carbing your beer with PURE oxygen. LOL

Hydro test is $25.00 from there.

Ill be filling up my first co2 tank this weekend. Keezer is done, kegging equipment is coming thursday.

Cant wait. I have 2 batches ready to be kegged

I remember my first and next 20 bottling batches..... Then one week I got a deal on a Kegger and not only has brewing been more enjoyable, my skill set has improved 10 fold and I believe that is because I don't mind brewing now since I don't have to bottle! I still remember the first 5 gal batch of beer that I actually finished that was in bottles, it took me almost 1 year. The first 5 gallons I kegged lasted maybe 2 weeks.. 20lb Co2 tank has been used for almost one year now and had had at least 15 kegs through it and is still over %50!

I have a shiny new keg and co2 tank just received a few days ago. I am brewing this weekend to fill the keg and am in search of a convenient place near Newmarket to get the co2 filled.
I fear I am going to drink this batch while it is a bit too green as I may not have enough patience to let this one age properly:tank:

I got my kegging equipment a couple of weeks ago and took my shiny new co2 bottle to AirGas. They do not fill locally so I just gave them my bottle and got a filled one.. Not as shiny but it just sits in the back of the fridge anyway so who really cares anyway.

I am not worried about the shiny part, but I am not sure i want to give up a brand new tank on an exchange.

Latest posts

Back