Beer Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInSydney

I don’t know what the f*ck I’m doing...
Reaction score
New to brewing and looking for some book recommendations. Nothing heavy, just simple please!

• Types/styles and classification of beer
• How to book - all grain brewing, basics on equipment etc
• Beer history

Thanks!

I've got a few brewing books, they have all been helpful in one way or another in my brewing

The "easy ones"...

How To Brew by John Palmer (of course),
Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher,
Session Beers by Jennifer Talley

The more "nerdy" ones are by Ron Pattinson, nerdy as in they contain a lot of numbers and data, but they also contains a lot of interesting brewing history. Can be a bit hard to digest as a starter perhaps.

New to brewing and looking for some book recommendations. Nothing heavy, just simple please!

• Types/styles and classification of beer
• How to book - all grain brewing, basics on equipment etc
• Beer history

Thanks!

For types/styles and beer history, consider Tasting Beer, 2e (Mosher) or Complete Beer Course (Bernstein).

For "how to" books, /r/homebrewing has a link to a book review in their new brewer FAQ. Here's the direct link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/5ivg5c/book_recommendations/dbbbbh6/

How to Brew, 4e is an excellent book. Brewing Better Beer (Strong) and Homebrew Beyond the Basics (Karnowski) are "all-grain" only and brew with RO/distilled water - so both books have approaches to water chemistry that are "ready to measure" and don't require spreadsheets.

For types/styles and beer history, consider Tasting Beer, 2e (Mosher) or Complete Beer Course (Bernstein).

For "how to" books, /r/homebrewing has a link to a book review in their new brewer FAQ. Here's the direct link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/5ivg5c/book_recommendations/dbbbbh6/

How to Brew, 4e is an excellent book. Brewing Better Beer (Strong) and Homebrew Beyond the Basics (Karnowski) are "all-grain" only and brew with RO/distilled water - so both books have approaches to water chemistry that are "ready to measure" and don't require spreadsheets.

+1 on Tasting Beer

Not necessarily a how-to brew book, but The Search for God and Guinness is a good read.

I am AMAZED that The Complete Joy of Home Brewing and The Home Brewers Companion were not at the top of the list!
But, as Charlie Papazian would say, "Relax and have a home brew!".

I am AMAZED that The Complete Joy of Home Brewing and The Home Brewers Companion were not at the top of the list!
But, as Charlie Papazian would say, "Relax and have a home brew!".

+1 Papazian's book would be my recommendation. Think of it as "Brewin beer for dummies" only not really for dummies!

My CJHB was purchased secondhand, and is falling apart to the point that I've lost a few pages here and there. But Palmer's How to Brew 4th ed. is my go-to. And this forum, of course!

Back