Been Gone A While...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
Hey all - I used to be pretty active here. But life has a funny way of changing things around on you. Been away from brewing for a few years. Then a couple more... But am about to get back in the game. I am not sure how may old timers are still around that remember me, but wanted to reintroduce myself.

Welcome back (again). So what's the plan... brewing?
Thanks homie.

I sold off my equipment back when I dropped off. So I have to effectively start over. But I’m happy to see the world of electric brewing and stainless fermentation have massively evolved while I was away. I’m looking at a low overhead/low cost way to startup again. I’m currently eyeballing the grainfather (I’m aware of the downsides) and a spike flex tank.
I’ve done this before, so I imagine I will be upgrading everything as I go, so this is just the starting gear.

I travel a ton for work (4-5 days a week) so I have a realistic goal of sourcing all the equipment this month and dough in my first brew in Jan. Likely an IPA since it’s a beer me and my wife both like. And I think she will be brewing with me.

Thanks homie.

I sold off my equipment back when I dropped off. So I have to effectively start over. But I’m happy to see the world of electric brewing and stainless fermentation have massively evolved while I was away. I’m looking at a low overhead/low cost way to startup again. I’m currently eyeballing the grainfather (I’m aware of the downsides) and a spike flex tank.
I’ve done this before, so I imagine I will be upgrading everything as I go, so this is just the starting gear.

I travel a ton for work (4-5 days a week) so I have a realistic goal of sourcing all the equipment this month and dough in my first brew in Jan. Likely an IPA since it’s a beer me and my wife both like. And I think she will be brewing with me.

I was off for twenty years - a bunch of life, there! The last brew day was the day my wife found out she was pregnant with our now twenty daughter ;). I definitely had to start all over with brewing equipment. Anyway, throwing in 2 cents on getting set up cheaply - I went with BIAB. Of course you can spend a lot on any part of BIAB if you want, but for starters, just need a pot you can heat up (aka a boil kettle), and a bag. Don't need to get into multiple vessels, pumps, etc. I started off with my same recipes and they worked great.

Welcome back and congrats on getting your rig together! I think it's great your going to have your wife as a brew partner! Good luck on your new brew!

John

I put 9 mangos chopped into the boil to promote the pectin haze in the finished beer, and to add some flavor. After primary finished (yesterday) I added 11 pounds of mango puree with the dry hops. I imagine it will sit about 10 more days before kegging. The only remaining thought I have is if I need any lactose, but I will hold off and pull a sample in a week or so to see where we are at.

Back