Competition - too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only made 4 batches of beer (and one turned out like Yack vomit). But one of them I think is really good. I have a batch with nearly the same recipe in the fermenter right now. If it turns out as good as the first attempt, I might enter it into a competition.

Is it too soon to do that? I mean I know there is no rule about your beer actually being good to be entered, but am I just pissing away the judges' time to enter a beer into a comp with so little experience under my belt?

I say enter the competition. You won't be wasting the judges' time, competitions are not just about winning medals, but troubleshooting beer and getting objective feedback.

Keep in mind, the scoring structure of the BJCP, a score of 21-29 out of 50 is still considered a good beer for instance. Your beer may be fantastic, but miss the mark on style accuracy which will lower the score. Judging beers can be difficult and homebrew competitions are not perfect as there are many variables regarding transportation, storage, and serving of your beer that are out of your control. They are, in general, a good way to get feedback and maybe win some bling.

I haven't even won, placed or showed in club competition yet, so I don't think I'm ready for a national, or even regional competition, but that's just me

don't let me talk you out of it, go for it

It really depends on the competition and the thickness of your skin. Pissing away the judges time? What else would they be doing if they weren't drinking your beer? Delivering babies?

Go for it.

It really depends on the competition and the thickness of your skin. Pissing away the judges time? What else would they be doing if they weren't drinking your beer? Delivering babies?

Go for it.

Thickness of skin is no issue. I've spent 40 years on this earth getting criticism and using it to actually become good at a few things. I do not expect to be producing world class beers within 12 months of starting...if it were that easy, I'd find something else to do with my time.

So, here's to hoping the judges can give me tips I actually understand and can use :mug:

I'm a new homebrewer like you. I've brewed a total of 4 batches solo, and an additional two batches with a friend at his place -- all extract brews, some with steeping grains.

I plan on entering an extract brew in a competition this coming September. While of course I want my beer to do well, I'm looking forward to the feedback of the judges, and simply having fun at the competition/event itself.

I say go for it!

Cheers!

I've been entering competitions since I kind of started...my first entries got beat up pretty good but now Im winning Golds and prizes ...and completed obsessed with it...Brew beers just for comps only now...

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is learn to understand the guidelines ....Make sure you beer fits under the right style and meets the guidelines ...If you aren't sure ...this where brew clubs are an awesome source ....I always take my beers to the
Club get feedback before entering and only enter beers that are good

Have fun

Heck yeah, enter!

I am planning on getting 4-5 entries ready for a local competition in August...I just started brewing in February.

Why you ask? Well, I will tell you....because i want to participate. I run in races that would take an act of mass destruction for me to win. I entered my dog in a air dog competition with no training at all beforehand. Why would brewing be any different?

Be a part of your local brew scene....dont sit on the sidelines!

I'm fairly new at brewing too, and look forward to entering some brew in a competition. I think my beer tastes OK, but I really need a skilled palate to give me the truth. That truth may hurt, but it will get me to step up my game.

Enter now. Getting good, constructive criticism will help make you a better brewer, faster. It's all good.

I think my beer tastes OK, but I really need a skilled palate to give me the truth. That truth may hurt, but it will get me to step up my game.

my situation exactly

navy chow destroyed my palate. my 2 brew clubs (one competition, the other just tasting and critique) have people who can really pick out details in beers that I overlook.

I think in my case, there's also a little of self-denial. "NO! my beer tastes AWESOME!"

You will need a thick skin, I'd imagine. It's quite disheartening to watch someone taste your wares, not know you are watching, take two or three sips and be utterly and completely impassive and unmoved.

Do judges ever make outright negative comments?

Absolutely enter a competition! There are lots of BJCP competitions scheduled, and in the better competitions you get back great feedback on scoresheets with helpful tips for how to fix any noted flaws.

Most of the beers entered in competition are "good" or under, with few "excellent" or "very good" scores. That means that the entrants enter primarily to receive feedback.

Here's what a BJCP scoresheet looks like: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

At the bottom, you'll see where the judges give suggestions for improvement, and that's where judges can really be helpful in improving your process!

Definitely do it, you will get great feedback most likely. I entered my very first brew, an extract and got a score of 36. Still received notes on what was off with it, helped me learn a lot.

Just do it! I entered my first comp a few weeks back. I got a 3rd place with a score of 41 on one entry and a score of 21 on a second entry. I hadn't even tasted the entry that scored a 21 when I shipped it but the feedback on both entries was invaluable. Entering can only make you better. And you may even get lucky like I did and get a nice ribbon out of the deal. :)

Back