Low FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheap

Reaction score
I have been brewing my own cheep beer now for about a year. Not a craftsman, just like to brew a good cheap beer and not have to pay the taxes. I have noticed that most recipes have a final gravity over 1.01 and a real attenuation around 63%. I have been extract brewing using SAF 05 at a og of about 1.05ish and regularly having a fg of 1.004ish (72%real attenuation). why does that seem to be abnormal? The beer seems to be quite good to me.

Also, I have my co2 in the fridge with my kegs, when I take it out to carbonate I will have the condensation inside ruin the paper in the gauges on occasion, any way to fix that without cutting a whole in the side to keep it outside?

It's only abnormal in that I am surprised you are getting such high attenuation from 05. Granted, I haven't used that yeast in years, so maybe my memory is off. Either way, a low FG isn't ruining anything, especially if you like dry beers. I would double check to make sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated, and then RDWHAHB.

Can't help you w the keg issue, as I bottle mine.

Latest posts

Back