Yeast washing troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaanPret

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm busy washing my lager yeast (white Labs) after a batch of Rauchbier.

The stuff in my jar already has already been washed once with clean boiled water and will go through another couple of washes.

But here is the problem: I don't see the distinctive lines of trub, good yeast, and dead yeast?

Hi,

I'm busy washing my lager yeast (white Labs) after a batch of Rauchbier.

The stuff in my jar already has already been washed once with clean boiled water and will go through another couple of washes.

But here is the problem: I don't see the distinctive lines of trub, good yeast, and dead yeast?

Sometimes you don't get those distinct lines. I personally don't worry too much about that, especially after reading this- http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/yeast-washing-revisited.html

Also, I'd use rinsed yeast out of a rauchbier for another rauchbier, but that's about it.

I think you have the results of a good rinsing job there. Nothing to worry about.

if this is qt size jar i would save it in the fridge as it is and pitch most of it directly to 5gal batch within a month

Just looks like you did a great job on the separation going into the jar. Looks good to me. I like to wrap mine in a thin towel and put them in a small cardboard box to regulate the temp swings of the fridge.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks all ....
Am I right when I continue to through of the "dirty" water on top and replacing it with clean boiled water that cooled down?

Nothing wrong with that as long as you watch for sanitation.

Myself, I would just leave it be. Every time you mess with it you chance contamination. Just my .02

Cheers
Jay

I always replace with sterile distilled water but Jaybird and DIS make the point about sanitation and contamination risks.
If you are only planning to store for up to 2 months then I say leave it. If on the other hand you are thinking of pushing the envelope then maybe take care and change the water. Just my 2 cents worth.

Back