Sour finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd extract brew. I think they have all turned out pretty good except all three have had a "sour" maybe even metallic finish.
Can someone give me an idea what might be causing this?

I don't think it's a sanitation issue, I think I'm pretty clean.

I just have a cheap lobster pot from Walmart.

I don't have a wort chiller so I might pinch my yeast too hot.

Those are just a couple ideas I have that might be the issue.

Aluminum pot? do you have an oxidize layer on the pot before brewing with it?

Aluminum without the oxidized layer can impart a metallic flavor at the finish of the beer, it is tasted mostly on the back of the tongue and in the back of the throat and lingers for a while.

The oxidized layer must be maintained and be present before each brew session.

Heavywalker said:
Aluminum without the oxidized layer can impart a metallic flavor at the finish of the beer, it is tasted mostly on the back of the tongue and in the back of the throat and lingers for a while..

You hit the nail on the head with the back of the tongue.

How do I get the oxidized layer? I'm just getting started so haven't dropped the money on a good kettle.

To get an oxidized layer fill the pot with water and bring to a hard boil and maintain 30 minutes, then dump the water and DO NOT wash the pot.

I had the same problem with my first brew in an aluminum pot so I feel your pain.

Back