batch age ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am a small batch brewer, ciders or gruits in 1 or 2 gal batches. But as I mentioned in another thread, I over did the wormwood on a blackberry gruit, so to tone it down I have made another batch to dilute it. So far so good.

But I just realised that I don't have enough free swing tops to bottle up 4 gal of gruit when this is ready. So, can I put some of it in 1 gal jugs and let it age until I have empty bottles, then rebottle and carb? Anyone ever done this? Any potential problems I should be aware of?

Oxidation will happen over time. Purge the headspace (add wort and let ferment if you don't have CO2), put on a solid bung or one-way airlock, and put it in the fridge.

Souring is also a significant risk without hops.

I have done the same a couple of time and even re-carbonated an stout & IPA. I didn't face any problem. I think as long there is some CO2 present in source bottle, even if minuscule, it works.

Thanks! I had not thought about storing in the fridge. Have to see if the wife will let me get away with that one ;-)

Souring is also a significant risk without hops.

I think the gruit herb mix will prevent souring. Or that is how it is supposed to work.

Anyway, I don't intend to age it for a long time, just enough to empty some bottles, and if it tastes good, that will not take long ;-)

Latest posts

Back