basement brewing with Drain or No Drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to start a nano brewing from my basement and I don't have any flooring drain in that area so I was wondering if its worth installing one or not. I have a few options but this will be expansive. Having a trench drain that will connected to the toilet drain (require to cut flooring concrete in order to make connection to main drain) or having a some sort of water bucket in the floor that is connected to a sump pump and drainage through sink drain.

What is your thoughts and ideas?

Cheers!

When we finished our basement a couple of years ago, this was a no-brainer for me. We added a simple floor drain that ties into the bathroom that happens to be next to my brew room. It's proved useful on a couple of occasions where I've had spills... the room has a very slight natural slope that direction too which helps matters. Paid around $600 for the drain, concrete cutting and tie-in... worth every penny IMO, especially since it was getting amortized over 15 years!

When we finished our basement a couple of years ago, this was a no-brainer for me. We added a simple floor drain that ties into the bathroom that happens to be next to my brew room. It's proved useful on a couple of occasions where I've had spills... the room has a very slight natural slope that direction too which helps matters. Paid around $600 for the drain, concrete cutting and tie-in... worth every penny IMO, especially since it was getting amortized over 15 years!

next room beside is my bathroom and its possible but I was thinking what if I have a city sewage backup but I guess it would coming either way.

It sounds from your wording like you are considering a proper commercial brewery, i.e. licensed, permitted, etc? If so a floor drain may be needed according to food prep requirements from your city or state. Better to ask them now then find out later that you need it.

next room beside is my bathroom and its possible but I was thinking what if I have a city sewage backup but I guess it would coming either way.

Yeah. You'd have issues either way there. IIRC correctly, the drain they put in still has a p-trap and I have to flush the drain once a year but it was definitely something I do again if starting over... I'd actually put a longer floor drain in, given the chance.

It sounds from your wording like you are considering a proper commercial brewery, i.e. licensed, permitted, etc? If so a floor drain may be needed according to food prep requirements from your city or state. Better to ask them now then find out later that you need it.

Yes and I will check with them first thx

I have no floor drain and keep a mop and bucket on hand. I am only doing 12 gallon batches, but I made a drip tray out of aluminum sheeting that can catch boilover or general spillage. It's very effective.

Back