Bottle pellicles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I cannot figure out what is going on.
On Saturday I bottled my Berliner-mulberry after 4 weeks in the fermenter and it was steady at 1004.
I capped off at about 10 at night and when I went to check( wanted to make sure that the homebrew goblins hadn't stolen the batch) low and behold every single bottle has a nasty dirty grey pellicle in it!
What is going on?
Will I be able to drink it any time soon?
Why is there a pellicle in the bottles when there waqs no longer one in the FV?
Cheers,Lee

You now, I was kind of thinking that too. But the little buggers must have been REAL quick and quiet!

Serious?
I am chilling one new to see what happens. Maybe the goblin snot will drop as the temperature does like wise.

The pellicle will fall once the beer is chilled. This is completely normal for a sour/funky beer. My sour porter did this when I first bottled it but now that it has conditioned for so long the pellicle fell like it normally would in a fermenter.

a pellicle is the bugs' way of protecting themselves from O2. during bottling you got O2 in the bottle... hence, a pellicle. it'll drop.

Bacteria form a community like this to have access to the liquid nutrients and the oxygen in the headspace. Most souring and some spoilage bugs form pellicles. Cooling will drop it out, but in a berliner it's probably fine.

You got awesome advice here. Even without chilling, as soon as the bottles get carbed up anything on top is going to drop. If not, getting them cold fixes everything as mentioned above.

I drank one yesterday evening and the carbonation was still minimal. That was not surprising as they had been in the bottle for less than a week.
After only a few hours at 12c in the brew-fridge the goblin snot had started to fall and dissipate.
Thanks very much guys for the reassurance.

I cannot figure out what is going on.
On Saturday I bottled my Berliner-mulberry after 4 weeks in the fermenter and it was steady at 1004.
I capped off at about 10 at night and when I went to check( wanted to make sure that the homebrew goblins hadn't stolen the batch) low and behold every single bottle has a nasty dirty grey pellicle in it!
What is going on?
Will I be able to drink it any time soon?
Why is there a pellicle in the bottles when there waqs no longer one in the FV?
Cheers,Lee

Was it the wyeast berliner weisse blend you used?

You got awesome advice here. Even without chilling, as soon as the bottles get carbed up anything on top is going to drop. If not, getting them cold fixes everything as mentioned above.

That's strange. I have some 2+ year beers with the pellicle still up top. And those things have the creamiest carbonation, and plenty of it.

That's strange. I have some 2+ year beers with the pellicle still up top. And those things have the creamiest carbonation, and plenty of it.

There is a difference with bottle pellicles. Some infections, and sours bottled too soon, you get the same kind of pellicle you would have in the carboy as you have in the bottle. Those won't go away, except with maybe a vigorous shake before pouring.

Some of the happenstance mold that can form usually falls with chilling or age. But hey, it is not an exact science. :cross:

highgravitybacon, no it wasnt. It was lacto from grain and yakult pitched along with Btrett c Trois.
The pellicles are now almost complete history.

Back