Fermenting beer at 75 degrees.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
Is 75 degrees to warm for fermenting beer? My last batch I was away from home for 2 days and it got to 80 degrees and it tasted really strong.

It is probably a bit warm unless you are going for the esters to get to the right style. Some beers call for that.

If it was me, I'd get it as cool as I can via chiller or ice (hopefully a degree or two below the yeast range listed), then allow it to warm slightly into the bottom end of the range. Keep it in a swamp cooler to control temp. Make sure to pay attention to liquid temp because it can be significantly higher than ambient air during active fermentation.

I'm guessing that you're talking 75*F ambient air temp. That gives you a peak ferment temp as high as the mid-80's.

That's way too hot by about 15*F (a huge difference for a yeast cell). By stressing those cells like you have, you get an assortment of off-flavors as well as probably some fusel alcohol.

What yeast are you using?

Is 75 degrees to warm for fermenting beer? My last batch I was away from home for 2 days and it got to 80 degrees and it tasted really strong.

Thats not to warm for some yeast strains, depending on the yeast depends on what temp you ferment at.

Check out Belgian Saison Yeast strains, I use Belgian Saison Yeast 3724, with this yeast I start off fermentation at 70 to 75 deg and ramp up the temp 3 to 4 deg each day till it gets to 85 deg, if you try to ferment this yeast lower than 84 deg you most likely experience the ever so dreaded stuck fermentation at 1.030 this yeast is famous for.

Lots of yeast ferment higher than the 65 deg that a lot of home brewers refer to, calif 001 likes 68 to 75, check out other yeast.

Hope this helps

Cheers :tank:

There are a couple styles that benefit from higher temps (you gave a pretty good explanation). But in general, that is going to be considerably too warm.

OP, if your question was "can any beer be ok at this temp?" Then yes....some beers are ok.

If your question pertained to a specific style, then you are likely too warm.

If your beers are tasting hot = fusel alcohols = yeast that do not like high temperatures. So the hot temperature is a problem. Search "swamp cooler" It's a tub with some water in it and the fermenter sits in the water, ice bottles changed out as needed control the temperature.

Lots of yeast ferment higher than the 65 deg that a lot of home brewers refer to, calif 001 likes 68 to 75, check out other yeast.

The yeast may like those temps but I don't. I used to ferment 001 at the recommended 68-72 degrees many yrs ago and would pretty commonly have diacetyl issues. It's much cleaner for me at 63-65. US-05 does okay a little warmer for me.

The yeast may like those temps but I don't. I used to ferment 001 at the recommended 68-72 degrees many yrs ago and would pretty commonly have diacetyl issues. It's much cleaner for me at 63-65. US-05 does okay a little warmer for me.

I will have to try 001 at 63 to 65 deg, thanks for the tip.

If possible, yes. If not, use one of the sticky thermometer strips. Seems like they are accurate to a degree or two. Another method is to measure the temp of the water in your swamp cooler. It will be very close to the temp of your beer.

One thing to note: if you are using ice to keep your swamp cooler cold, your water will likely be colder than your beer. In this case, I would go back to the stick-on thermometer.

"I used to ferment 001 at the recommended 68-72 degrees many yrs ago and would pretty commonly have diacetyl issues. It's much cleaner for me at 63-65. US-05 does okay a little warmer for me."

I used to monitor the water temp with a floating thermometer. I kept it at ~65* thinking the thermal mass would keep the beer close enough to that temp. I read people stating that it can still be several degrees higher and bought a fermometer, which showed they were right. It was about 5* warmer than the water.

Since then, as chickypad stated, I've kept my beer at ~65* and like it better myself using 001.

I will have to try 001 at 63 to 65 deg, thanks for the tip.

I LOVE WLP001 at 62-64 degrees! It has become my house strain at those temperatures. I don't like it above 68 degrees nearly as much.

The only regulator American ale strain I've found that I don't mind as high as 72 degrees is S05, although I don't use it all that often.

I use 60-64 degrees for Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) with great results.

So do you take a temp straight from the wort?

For better bottles and my conical I have a thermowell in the wort. For buckets I tape the probe to the side of the bucket and insulate it with bubble wrap or styrofoam. I tested it once with a thermapen in the wort and it was pretty accurate so I trust it.

I LOVE WLP001 at 62-64 degrees! It has become my house strain at those temperatures. I don't like it above 68 degrees nearly as much.

The only regulator American ale strain I've found that I don't mind as high as 72 degrees is S05, although I don't use it all that often.

I use 60-64 degrees for Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) with great results.

My wife loves beer too, but some yeast don't go well with her, we tried the 001 and found it go's good with her and she really like the way beers come out with this yeast, cant wait to try it at lower temps and see how she likes it.

Yooper do you find it to produce a crisper cleaner beer fermenting WLP001 at the lower temps ?

Cheers :mug:

If possible, yes. If not, use one of the sticky thermometer strips. Seems like they are accurate to a degree or two. Another method is to measure the temp of the water in your swamp cooler. It will be very close to the temp of your beer.

Not really since the yeast create their own heat.

I use dry yeast. I try to keep around 68-70 degrees on the liquid thermometer. Is this to warm or will it be good??

My wife loves beer too, but some yeast don't go well with her, we tried the 001 and found it go's good with her and she really like the way beers come out with this yeast, cant wait to try it at lower temps and see how she likes it.

Yooper do you find it to produce a crisper cleaner beer fermenting WLP001 at the lower temps ?

Cheers :mug:

Yes, it seems to be cleaner at lower temperatures, more so than S05 (which I think gets "peachy" at 64 degrees).

I use dry yeast. I try to keep around 68-70 degrees on the liquid thermometer. Is this to warm or will it be good??

If it's at 70 degrees, that's pretty good for S05 yeast. For S04 or nottingham, I'd either ferment cooler or not use them. They both seem to get poor flavor results over about 67 degrees.

So I have a question pertaining to this thread. I'm doing a banana beer for my wife similar to wells and its a hefe yeast. I was told to ferment at 72-75 to get the banana flavor out of it. So I was keeping it warm and during the first 24 hours it got up to 77 or so and was very vigorous. It has been steady for 3 days now around 74 just wondering if being so high to start will give any off flavors. It was only that warm for a couple hours until I got it to cool down a few degrees.

Too hot. Banana like flavors will be in it. Or bubblegum. The yeast excretes fusel alcohols and make it fruity tasting. Need 65 degrees. One beer I made was almost undrinkable. Air condition crapped out and beer got to 80 degrees. That's the only beer I have had taste like that.

I have not done a beer this warm before so I'm not speaking from experience but on the wyeast website it says wheat beer can be fermented up to 85 degrees

Depends on which wheat yeast. Not all wheat yeast has a range up that high.

Back